Spotted negatives !

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by IOS, Jan 27, 2008.

1. IOS

IOS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When i developed this roll it came out spotted. I dont think that its air bubbles or dust. Could it be fungus ? I cant seem to figure what happened to this roll of Kodak HIE. Thank you for taking a look.

Attached Files:

2. richard ide

richard ide Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had this same look in the past which was caused by fixer contamination of developer. Being HIE, it may be something else.

3. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just developed a roll of Fortepan 400 that has a similar problem. I just posted a comment to an earlier thread on this subject. The Fortepan almost certainly has a defective emulsion, but that may not be the explanation for the Kodak HIE. Certainly Kodak's got better quality control than Forte ever did.

4. IOS

IOS Member

Shooter:
    35mm

I also seen the other post and the issue looks just like mine. I posted my negative scan on his thread so he can compare it to his. Maybe Freestyle has a storage issue !

5. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A recent roll of HIE of mine has a similar spotting. I bought mine at a shop in Newton, Mass, so I don't think it's a storage thing. And it didn't happen in every frame, as far as I can tell; maybe just the ones where I was out in the sun. Someone mentioned it could be from the pressure plate in the camera. I know the one I used does have a dimpled plate. The camera I used to use did not and I never had this happen with rolls from that one. Could be coincidence.

6. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A while back I had something similar. I put it down to condensation on the neg after I took the film out of the refrigerator. I put all my film in Ziploc bags now and suck out as much air as I can before they go in the 'fridge. I also let the film fully warm up before I take it out of the bag so that any condensation is on the outside of the bag.

Now, I don't KNOW if this was indeed the problem, but I haven't experienced it since.

Bob