Spotter/Retoucher for prints and negatives

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Katherine Gillis, May 1, 2012.

1. Katherine Gillis

Katherine Gillis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    My name is Katherine Gillis. I have been a traditional retoucher/spotter for many years. Whether photographers need their prints or negatives retouched I have the experience to work on color or black and white. I am a graduate of the Veronica Cass School of Retouching in 1991. I have worked for Alan Ross for years spotting the special edition Ansel Adams prints. I have been featured on the North Carolina public television station, WUNC-TV, North Carolina NOW. See the archive of me talking about spotting. Click on the following link to see my segment on the program: http://videos.charlotte.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=1522472.
    Typically photographers want me to do this because I'm very good at it and they don't want to spend the time spotting a print when they could be shooting.
    Call me at 704-607-1039. You can email me at katgillis@comporium.net. My shipping address is: 365 Carroll Cove Road, Lake Wylie, South Carolina 29710.

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Katherine! I try to remember you if I need a spotter/retoucher.

Jeff

3. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doing the Lord's work for sure. As good as I have to be at retouching my own work, I would certainly consider taking a class from a master in order to "brush up" my own skills. Why doesn't the AA Gallery offer a class from you?

4. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Katherine.

5. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow - I asked in another thread if you had an email contact. Welcome to APUG. I've never really got the hang of spotting; sometimes I make it work bur more often I ruin a print. Professional spitting could be the answer to prayers!

6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome to APUG, Katherine. There aren't too many professionals still out there doing this work, and it's great to see them turning up on the forum. You might try searching for some of the existing retouching threads, and if you have any advice for the rest of us, I'm sure it would be welcome.

If eventually the site brings some business your way, you might consider purchasing a block ad or a banner ad to support the site and get a little more visibility for your services.

7. Leigh Youdale

Leigh Youdale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Roger,

"Professional spitting could be the answer to prayers!"

You're supposed to use inks. Spitting or praying will both prove ineffective. :blink:

8. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    iPhone auto-correct. I was on Tapatalk at the time. It made it "spitting" and I changed it once and the darned thing changed it back. I saw it and edited the post almost immediately but you obviously saw the original. The iPhone doesn't know the word "spotting" apparently, and i and o are beside each other on the keyboard so obviously it was supposed to say "spitting." :errm:

And I don't really pray about prints. That's pretty useless. Just a figure of speech. :wink:

9. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

Good suggestions David....

10. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Welcome Katherine Gillis!

I dream of the day when I have so much work that I'll get to take advantage of your services. Last week the water dept. shut off the water (to fix the main which busts every big rain). Knowing I had a dry darkroom day, I pulled out the tools and spotted my portfolio. I know how to do it, but I acknowledge that my experience will never rise to your ability. I appreciate that you are here to offer your services.

11. mitch brown

mitch brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A Great Big Big thanks to Katherine. She just saved my Butt!!!! Just got the prints back she spotted for me that i could not reproduce and they are great . she had to do a ton of spotting and i would bet no one could tell how much work she did if they had not seen them before she worked on them. she is the best

12. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

Agree. I sent her a number of prints with a few tough areas to retouch. Great job.

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG