Spring 2008 Uk Apug Meet-Up - Where to go

Discussion in 'UK All Regions' started by Leon, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello all

where shall we go in the Spring???

Dave Miller has already voted for Northumberland coast and I'll second that.

Alnmouth is a lovely place to stay with a couple of hotel type pubs, so I would suggest that as a possible base?

what do others think? Any other suggestions of locations - lets get a few running and have a poll if needs be?

2. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Northumberland like man (or Devon maybe if we want to go dahn sarf?)

3. Rob Archer

Rob Archer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I like the idea of Northumberland. Alnmouth is a wonderful little place and, for those of us that are car-free, it's got a main line rail station about a mile from the village. Failing that, anywhere so long as there's good beer and food!

Rob

4. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I like Northumberland as a venue too. Never been, but if it's in the opposite direction to the M25 that's good enough for me! :D

5. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As I said previously, I'll follow the majority. I am car free, therefore, same as Rob, a railway station nearby is a requirement.

Also, I may not be avail on w/e 22/23 March as it is fin y/e close.

I looked up Alnmouth quicky online and I found these photos and information:

http://www.northumberland-cam.com/alnmouth/index.htm

6. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If we settle on this venue we will have a poll to fix a date. First we need someone local to scout / advise on accommodation. For myself I would prefer to be further up the coast, but will bow to local knowledge and advice on this. March may be too cold for Frank, so we may have to move into early April when the sun is a little higher.

7. Sandeha Lynch

Sandeha Lynch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I drove up the A1 to Edinburgh back in '94, and remember some stunning must-return views along the Northumberland coast - some a little further north, I think.

8. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Less of that you Southern softy! I saw you shivering at Reculver, so make your own excuses!

(Having said that, I still have memories of the first Gathering when Keswick mud claimed many a Manfrotto! Perhaps April might be a more clement suggestion!) :D

9. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

That was with excitement.:wink:

10. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oh aye, brought you out in goosebumps! :tongue:

11. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think Opp North is favourite as we have been in the South (more or less) for the last two meetings and East Anglia before that.

We have been in the Lakes and Dales before so a trip up to Northumbria sounds like a good option - not least because I've not been up there with a camera before and I think it's a landscape that would suit my dusting off the 5x4 for...

Bob.

12. Mark Burley

Mark Burley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oooooop North

I kind of of quite fancy North Umbrialand - whatever it's called. I believe it's close to that border thang, near bonnies something or other...

But, I wouldn't want to get to close to that Scottish stuff. Otherwise, I will want to go straight to the Cuillins, Or skye...

I know that's far too far any way...

I would like to discuss this further please. That is not a no! just not sure peeps.

Mark and Norms

13. leeturner

leeturner Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it's Northumberland (or anywhere Northish) then it would probably be my first APUG Meet-Up. Turning 49 in March so a good excuse to spend my last year as a forty something doing enjoyable things.:smile:

Second thoughts - March, North of England, Enjoyable? Pack the thermals and waterproofs.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ISTR Les lives up that way, so maybe he can give us the skinny on the best places to photograph, drink etc....

16. GeoffHill

GeoffHill Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'll come along. I live just a smidge north of Newcastle, and can probably help out if anyone needs a lift from a railway station.

17. Mark Burley

Mark Burley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Details of Northern stuff...

Please feel free to post as much info for soft southerners as you like please.

Thank you.

Mark Burley

18. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FYI it's traditional in the northeast to go out in the coldest weather wearing practically nothing.My youngest sister once went for an interview at Newcastle University, and as she was on her way back to the station in a taxi these three girls wearing outfits that they'd just thrown on, and nearly missed, walked across the road in front of them. The taxi driver said to my sister "you'll not be needing your coat if you come here like pet":smile::wink:..for men a beergut the size of a zeppelin and a tattoo of the Newcastle United club crest are de rigeur like.

19. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From the lansdcape point of view, Alnmouth is not the best spot on the coast, too sweet and picturesque. Further north toward Berwick offers more isolated and, IMO better landscape as well as access to The Cheviot Hills and some excellent countryside and coast just over the border.

There is one decent and relatively inexpensive B&B just a few miles from where I live but it will probably not be large enough to deal with the numbers. I'll check it out as well as looking for other places if there is an interest in the area that I have suggested.

20. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Why not somewhere central like Birmingham or Nottingham? At least everyone has an equal chance of making it.

21. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    an excellent idea

22. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Gary,

If this were a one-off then I'd heartily agree with you. However it's our seventh (I'm having trouble believing that! :surprised: ) so by now the central swathe of the country would be suffering from serious overuse! :wink:

By moving around like this we tend to give new people a chance from the local areas while giving the long-distance merchants a chance to point their cameras somewhere new.

Our last Gathering but one was Ross on Wye, which is not all that far from Brum, but we've not yet hit the North East...!

All the best,

Frank

23. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There's also the opportunity to group up and car share to reduce travelling cost.

24. Stoo Batchelor

Stoo Batchelor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi All

My vote is on Northumberland.

I spent two days in the area on my way back from Scotland and adored the area. I am so angry with myself beacause I went for the generic shots as my time was limited, yet I know that with more time on my hands I could come back with some real Gems.

Stoo

25. Mark Burley

Mark Burley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Northumberland awaits

I have been given permission to say that the 'royal we' would be very happy to accept a little run to Northumberland. So much so, that we might take a week or so extra in the wee blue van.

I guess that means - one is allowed to say we fancy that trip something rotten.

I await the full description of where we are staying Les!

But please don't feel like you're under any pressure though.

Mark :D

26. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think Les might be preoccupied with his ongoing attempt to be in 15 places at once over the next few weeks! (At least, that's what it sounds like from his schedule! :wink: )

He did mention that Berwick might be a better bet than Alnmouth as being more central to various photogenic attractions, though.