Sprint Standard Film Developer?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by kchoquette, Jun 5, 2013.

1. kchoquette

kchoquette Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just found out the school I'm enrolled in supplies all the photo chemicals I need to do all my developing and darkroom work, which is awesome!

The problem is, it's all Sprint based products, which I have no experience with. I don't need to know anything like dilutions, but coming from a home darkroom, using water as a stop bath, I'm curious as to what I'm going to get with my results.

Also, which films pair particularly well with Sprint? I've noticed some decreased clumpiness with HP5+ grain, which might finally bring me over to it, but I'm curious as to all your opinions on it, thanks!

2. dosilverhalide

dosilverhalide Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I used Sprint film and paper developer for years and never had any problems. I used it mostly with Tri x and Mitsubishi?, paper. I only stopped using it because the store that sold it went out of business.

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have used sprint film developer off and on since 1981, it is great-stuff !
    what films pair well ? i haven't put any film through it that hasn't looked good.
    i like how you can over develop and highlights won't block up.
    i have never used anything but sprint fixer, its high capacity and does not contain hardener ...

dilutions are pretty simple 1:9 for everything, but fixer with films it is 2:8 ( paper it is still 1:9 )
    not sure if you have seen their extended developing chart ?
    http://sprintsystems.com/time-charts/

dosilverhalide:
    if you still want to get sprint chemistry,
    you can buy it online ! i think they are an apug sponsor too :smile:

have fun!
    john

4. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yea I was in a school darkroom that was the same.
    Sprint standard I was told (never saw a formula) is similar to D76 and works great.

I think the idea is that dilutions are mostly 1 to 9 across most of the products and some are a little easier on the environment and your skin. I seem to remember something was fragranced with vanilla??

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2013
  5. kchoquette

kchoquette Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting! I only have experience using Ilford Fixer, so I'm curious to see what the differences are. And anything that resembles D76 is something I'm excited about! I never had a chance to use it myself, so this is going to be fun!

I'll also take a look at that developing chart, it can't hurt to have a jump on the competition. :D

6. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They have a fair website with MSDS fro most of their line.

http://sprintsystems.com/

Mmmm, no metol in their Sprint Standard....

7. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I was closer to them and could get them easily, I used their stop and fixer with Ilford multigrade developer. The stop is what's vanilla scented and I miss it! I've had good results with their chemicals. In fact, I would only use their developer for HIE. I can't say I've done any actual testing with anything else, though.
    I also remember hearing their film developer was similar to D-76, but that may have referred to results rather than formula. I thought it worked pretty well at the time.

8. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yea. I always like it for the ease of use and convenience of the liquids and they all are one to nine so it was easy to remember.

In fact I still use the concentrate bottles to store my mixed up D76 working solution:smile: .

9. kchoquette

kchoquette Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Results similar to D76 is exactly what I've been looking for. I don't shoot often enough at home to warrant making a large batch that's only one time use. Generally, I shoot a roll probably every few weeks. Still, though, I've always wanted that classic D76 smoothness in my shots. Can't wait to try it.

Never done real prints before, either, so I expect this will yield me some good results. Now to choose a photopaper!

10. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have never used d76, but from what i have been told, if you over developer film in d76 your highlights will block up
    when i use sprint film developer .. i regularly over develop and get wonderful unblocked film.

john

11. Chris Lange

Chris Lange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had Sprint at school all 4 years myself. I would routinely use it at double strength (1+4 instead of 1+9) and use essentially the same times that I would for straight D76. I always got great negs this way, with a bit more punch and contrast than 1+9. Tri-X or HP5+ at box speed or 800 for 7:15 or so in 1+4 was always good for me...

Sprint makes good stuff, it's all designed to be fairly standard and de rigeur, and there's less creative mobility with those chemicals than with others for certain applications. It is designed to emulate standard D76 and Dektol for film and paper respectively, so it's not much of a surprise, you just don't have the flexibility that you would have for extreme pushing with D76 1:3, or with Dektol straight, 1:2, or 1:3.

That said, I use Rodinal, D76, Acufine and Xtol at home.