SQ-Ai Batteries - Silver or Alkaline

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by hoffy, Jun 3, 2011.

1. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, I know I asked this elsewhere (BUG), but I thought I would ask here as well.

In the manual for my SQ-Ai, it suggests using LR44's Alkaline-Magnesium batteries. I have also seen mentioned in many other places, the use of MS-76 Silver Oxide batteries suggested.

Since their is a huge difference in price (I.E. $4.50 for 10 LR44 Vs $21.50 for 5 MS-76), is it worth the extra money to go silver? Will I get 10 times the performance out of the Silvers?

Cheers

2. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The manual uses the word "must" and later explains the properties of Alkaline batteries, so I would stick with that.

In a recent thread I spoke out against using silver batteries. To clarify, I was talking about my specific camera specimen not making a generalization.

I use silver batteries where the camera works well with them. For example four silver batteries seem to last forever in my Pentax ESII.

But since your SQ-Ai was designed for alkaline-manganese batteries, you should use those.

3. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting that the manual says it "must" be alkaline manganese. Just to add to the confusion slightly:

www.tamron-usa.com/bronica/batteries.asp

where it specifies silver oxide as the battery of choice, and alkaline as "good". I'd go by the manual's specification and be done with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2011
  4. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hey lxdude, did you see the asterisk? Sounds like they are saying silver oxide could put you in a "situation" for a whole roll.

5. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, just to confuse things a little more. Seems like it would have been simpler for them to specify alkaline as best for the SQ-Ai, like the manual.

6. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well the MR44 mercury battery was still around when the manual was printed, thus the insistence on using alkaline batteries.

7. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Silver oxide batteries give flatter discharge curve than alkaline. Apparently not an issue with your SQ-AI. I say take the $21.50 for 5 silver oxide batteries and buy 10 alkaline batteries plus film. :smile:

8. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. By the sound of it, I'd be best saving my money and going for the alkalines and this is what I will do.

9. Wishy

Wishy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I suspect either would be fine. you need voltage regulation circuity to deal with either, so this should deal with any variation.
    Silver oxide has a 1.55v nominal voltage, Alkaline 1.5v nominal, but may be about 1.55 fresh.

Silver oxide batteries do tend to last longer than Alkaline. Their voltage drop is slower as well, but it isn't flat like mercury.

10. Tony-S

Tony-S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, the later SQ-AI (vs. earlier SQ) and the GS-1 have voltage regulating circuitry, so alkaline is fine for them. I'd probably avoid lithium, though. I'm just not sure how they'd do in those cameras.