Squarespace, Zenfolio, Other People's Pixels

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by jglass, Nov 8, 2009.

1. jglass

jglass Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has anyone used one of these sites or any other to create a web site?

I'm interested in seeing examples if so.

I'm in a free trial period on two of them and am finding it a challenge to make the site look the way I want it to.

Any other recommendations for sites that give easy tools for creating the site, as well as hosting?

Thanks.

Jeff

2. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I looked at all of those, and many more, a year ago when I redesigned my site.

I went with A Photo Folio and I've been very pleased. APF is considerably more expensive than the ones you list---though cheaper than liveBooks or clikbooq---but you get what you pay for in appearance, ease of management, SEO optimization, and support.

My site's linked in my signature; or go to www.aphotofolio.com to learn more. (If you go with APF, tell Rob I referred you!)

3. jglass

jglass Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Mike. $1000 is a bit steep for me at this point. BTW, I like your color work on your website. And what is SEO optimization?

4. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, they aren't cheap. I really debated it, but thought it would be a good value over time, in the longer run.

I should have said just plain "SEO", not "SEO optimization; SEO is Search Engine Optimization---making one's site search-engine friendly.

Thanks for the kind words about the work. Good luck finding your web host. It can be tough to choose a solution that works for you and provides the value you seek, from among the welter of choices out there.

5. Wye Photography

Wye Photography Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Zenfolio

Hi Jeff,

I am a Zenfolio user, here's my site http://wyephotography.zenfolio.com/

I find Zenfolio, well, excellent actually. Good price, easy to use and customise. I am certainly very pleased with the service.

Regards

Chris.

6. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I use SimpleViewer Pro. The non pro version is free but non-customizable, I paid $45 to be able to customize it to my taste. If you choose to customize it, you can download the full version of Adobe Flash for 30 days at no cost.

7. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    To update my last post, the new version of Simple Viewer Pro doesn't require Flash to be installed for modification. It requires Adobe Air, which is a free download. I tried it today and it is very easy to use.

8. danschmidt

danschmidt Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'm using squarespace

danschmidt.com

9. topoxforddoc

topoxforddoc Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I use Zenfolio.

Good points - Cheap, easy to use, secure(as any site can be), easy e-commerce (if you're into that).

Downsides - template driven, hence a bit formulaic and difficult to make it very different to other people's zenfolio sites.

Here's mine
    www.charlie-chan.co.uk

Charlie

10. theseasideartist

theseasideartist Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently changed over to Zenfolio from Printroom-
    Zen has made lots of changes and upgrades.
    I found the site easy to set up.

I think it takes several sites to accomplish things.
    Zen for some things.
    Photoshelter for Editorial work- since editors seem to like it.
    I think I am going to test out Artistrising.com for my silver gel work. [sales of orig prints-handmade]

www.theseasideartist.zenfolio.com

11. ldhayden

ldhayden Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I'm using SquareSpace and I like being able to design the site myself. They are responsive, it's cost efficient and it's not flash based. I don't know any code so configuring specifically is a challenge but I'm certain I don't really need to do this.

www.larrydhayden.com

12. jglass

jglass Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ldhayden: I like your site. It seems to work well and it's pretty clean for a Squarespace site. I did a trial on Squarespace but could not figure out how to make the site look good. Would you mind telling me what template you used? maybe they've added some since I tried it out. Thanks. And you can PM me if you'd rather

Jeff Glass

13. ldhayden

ldhayden Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi Jeff,

Sent you a PM. I did use a template (can't recall at the moment) and made modifications as I wanted. I still want to make some changes, especially the gallery, and will do so over time.

Take care,

Larry

14. ldhayden

ldhayden Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi Jeff,

Just checked and am using the Newsroom template with changes to color, background, size and fonts.

Thanks,

15. citizens

citizens Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    To anyone finding this thread through Google don't forget to check out Portfolio Websites.

16. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My opinion also. There's more I could do with my site, I just haven't gotten to it. They really seem to be trying to have the features requested. Read the Zenfolio forum for ideas.

17. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm using VisualServer. They have a lot of templates you can choose from, and lots of ways to customize your site, including an e-commerce feature (nice to have but it's been useless so far- nobody has wanted to buy my stuff!).