SRT 201 - meter not working

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by John Irvine, Mar 2, 2010.

1. John Irvine

John Irvine Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A SRT 201 was put away 5 or more years ago in working order. The battery was removed so there was no corrosion. It has been taken out and is in good/clean condition. The shutter is working and the aperature opens and closes smoothly. The aperature stop down button is working. However the meter is not working. Several batteries have been tried, including one that is currently operating a SRT 101. With or without the battery, the needle points upward. When the battery switch is turned to BC, nothing happens. When the switch is moved to the on position, nothing happens.

Any ideas on things to try to get an otherwise nice camera up to 100%?

John

2. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Make sure the spring arm at the bottom of the battery chamber is clean and sticks up far enough to make contact with the battery. Beyond that, I'd try Gary's Camera repair. Others may have more specific suggestions.

I've had more than one camera that I've put away working and later found a meter problem.

3. John Irvine

John Irvine Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Problem Found

I took the bottom off the camera to check out the switch. With an ohm meter I found that the ground wire had corroded and come loose at one connection between the battery and the switch.

Now I have to figure a way to clean and re-connect.

4. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matt's Classic Cameras web site might be a good resource. Corroded wire here where you have found it is not too unusual. In the mean time, look up Fred Parker's Ultimate Exposure Meter article, also on the web.

5. John Irvine

John Irvine Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, I'll look.

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    C'mon now. you identified the fault. MacGyver it, splice something in there. Paper clip, bobby pin, fuse or even Gasp! a piece of wire.

7. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nah. Retainer. Go for the Full-MacGyver.

8. John Irvine

John Irvine Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The wire's fine. The problem is that it is no longer connected at the battery end. Me and my 10 thumbs have never been able to make a solder joint less than 1/4 inch in diameter. I shudder thinking about a big blob of solder falling down amoungst all those little wheels and gizmos. Maybe if I go to the repair shop in Charlottesville using the pleading look of the cat in the Shrek movies, he will let me keep my right arm.

9. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The problem with repair shops (if you want to call it a problem) is that they are often reluctant to fix just one issue with an older camera as something else may pop up and they get blamed. But it this case, with the bottom open and the issue obvious, they might be willing.

But are you sure you can't "pop" out the battery chamber with the remaining wires attached and solder in a more safe position?

10. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since you might be opening your SRT to fix it, here's a link for a conversion for your camera to batteries that's readily available.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/conversion.htm

I have an old SRT and I'm thinking of trying this.

Best

11. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ask around with friends and see if you can find one who is (or who's father is) a ham radio operator, electronics something-or-other or who used to build Heathkits.

I'm sure they will be willing to solder the wire back on for you.

Corroding solder joints are a problem with most (eventually one would think all) mid-late-70's Minoltas.

There is a good chance other solder connections in the camera are also corroding and will fail over the next few years.

12. BobD

BobD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Are you aware of this product?
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/b70c/

13. John Irvine

John Irvine Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'll check it out. If I can pop it out I might be bold enough to whip out the old soldering iron.

Or maybe I'll let my wife solder it. She solders the lead on stained glass all the time. Then again, maybe I won't.