Stad Dev w/FG7

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by kbeatty, Jan 12, 2008.

1. kbeatty

kbeatty Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Has anyone tried stand dev with edwal FG7? If so what was your time and dilution.

2. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've developed with FG7 in the past (results were similar to Ilford Microphen and D-76). I never used it as a Stand Developer or a Minimum Agitation developer. If I was curious, I'd test it at high dilutions (Like 100 to 1 and 200 to 1).

Better IMO, to mix up some Pyrocat-HD.

3. kbeatty

kbeatty Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the reply. I don't have any Pyrocat-HD and no Rodinal (good news from my local supplier is that they are getting it again, but I digress). I do have FG7 and love the results at 1:3 and 1:15 but was curious if any one has actually tried FG7 at 1:100 or 1:200 with stand development. Right now I am debating spending the time testing FG7 with water bath dev on HP5 or minimum agitation.

4. 23mjm

23mjm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have used FG7 in the past, don't use it now, but no good reason for not using it. I liked the results when I used it. If you like it then use it and don't worry what others say. If you want to try something else then shoot some test rolls and give it a go. There are no bad products just bad users :wink:

5. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I may be guilty of generalizing but I can't see any reason for trying FG7 with stand development.

It's a PQ-type developer and these aren't normally conducive to the compensation or adjacency effects most expect from stand development.

6. 23mjm

23mjm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just a FYI in the book the Negative by Ansel Adams he refers to FG-7 as a standard developer.

7. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The OP asked about stand development. FG-7 originally was a PQ developer - in my experience it gave results that were similar to those I obtained with Ilford Microphen. Looking at the most recent FG-7 MSDS the recipe seems to have changed ( Phenidone is no longer listed as an FG-7 ingredient, and some Pixie Dust has been added to the FG-7 MSDS ingredient list).

FG-7 is not likely IMHO, to be much good as a stand developer.

Better to use Pyrocat or a dilute Glycin or Glycin/Metol developer - or a dilute p-aminphenol developer (like Rodinal).

8. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. 23mjm

23mjm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Got stand and stardard mixed up my bad.

I like getting agitated :wink:

10. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member