Staged or not?

Discussion in 'Portraiture' started by Iluvmycam, Aug 26, 2013.

Do you think my photo is staged or not?

1. Yes, staged photo

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. No, it is posed, but not staged

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shouldn't you have whited her out instead of blacking her out?

3. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I tied it, but I am not much of a PP person, so this was what worked for my skills.

4. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Beat me to it... Haha... well played.

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the votes, but need a lot more to get some feeling on how my photo is being viewed.

175 memebers looked and only a handful bothered to vote? Why not all?

I will give you the rundown on my photo in a few days once I get some more feedback.

7. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No comment. My membership on this site too good to risk banning. Tired-out narrative anyway.

8. Moopheus

Moopheus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You do know how internet forums work, right? Most people aren't going to bother click through to your link, and if they do, the "puzzle" doesn't seem worth the effort. It's either a) a real neo-nazi with flag and paper, or b) someone not a neo-nazi with flag and paper. There are certainly neo-nazis out there, and some would be willing to have their photos taken. Or maybe you got a friend to do it. Why should we really care either way?

9. OzJohn

OzJohn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've seen some absurd threads started here over time and this one is up there with the best of them. My reaction is "Who apart from yourself cares?" I fail to see how a topic such as this offers anything to the wider membership of this forum in terms of knowledge and/or enjoyment of photography. OzJohn

10. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I guess I don't really understand the question. Yes, I'd assume it was staged, that she'd be standing like that showing the newspaper as she is. But what difference does it make whether we think it was staged or not? Seems to me there are other questions that would tell you more how your "photo is being viewed," e.g., how did you react emotionally, what do you perceive the intent of the artist to be, do you think this image has artistic merit, etc. Of course, those are not yes/no questions -- but often the best questions and answers require narrative.

11. omaha

omaha Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Something like this.

12. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm

I can't put stuff up here without links. Flickr banned me after 9 days. I lost 190 pix at Flickr. Photobucket takes my pix down after a day or two. So I have to use Tumblr and Artslant. I appreciate the votes you guys sent in anyway.

This is not a puzzle or trick poll in any case. I just wanted to see how my pix are viewed by others. I got some comments about certain pix from other fourms and was never aware people had such thoughts about my pix.

If you guys can get it up to 25 or 30 votes, that would be great. I will give you the answer tomorrow after a few more votes. (Hopefully)

13. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Why is it important? You seem a nice guy I enjoy seeing on here. Why would you want to post such a caustic photo as that?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't view your picture as 'staged' / 'not staged'. Therefore I can't vote. To me that is immaterial. The more important question is: What does this picture mean to you? And that will be different for many people, but to me it's a reminder of a very ugly time in the history of humans. I value compassion and empathy, but also value truth and honesty. So it's with slight reluctance I say this, because it stirs powerful emotions within me, but I also am trying to understand your motif(s).

The most interesting discussion surrounding this picture has nothing to do with whether it is staged or not, in my humble opinion; it has to do with what it means to people, how they react to it, and what emotions it stirs. Ugly truth is better than a lie any time.

16. omaha

omaha Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry, but it seems to me like an example of going for shock value by reaching into a bag of clichés.

17. MatthewDunn

MatthewDunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Exact same sentiment in this corner. I have a myriad of thoughts and feelings about your image, but none of them would depend on whether or not the image was staged or not...

18. powasky

powasky Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    i wonder if it'll be the opposite in winter time and we'll be taking colddddd showers...brrrr from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

19. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Personally, I found the photo to be banal and unimaginative, so I didn't vote. I find peoples responses to it entertaining.

20. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    She mght be standing on a stage.:tongue:

Jeff

21. Doc W

Doc W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have no clue what this thread is about. Can someone please explain it in 25 words or less?

22. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi doc

not in 25 words ...

maybe:

nonsubscriber with link to clichéed image disallowed at other sites needs "votes" for "validation", some think its pathetic, others don'tcare, others joke, others ....

i guess i did it in 25 words.

23. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No offense to the OP, but I'm surprised the moderators have not closed the thread.

24. Moopheus

Moopheus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Why? Just for being kinda pointless? There wouldn't be much on the Internet if you tried to enforce that rule.

25. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I voted on the question, but I also am wondering what the point is. I have no objection to pictures of Nazis and don't really understand why others do. They were a band of criminals who purposely brought on the greatest calamity the world has ever seen and they must be remembered. Neo-Nazis are just pitiful creeps. Dangerous pitiful creeps, but still pitiful.

26. MatthewDunn

MatthewDunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't have any objections to pictures of Nazis per se. I just don't like images of Nazis being bandied about for another purpose (i.e. to be "edgy" or "alternative", etc.). As you say, the tragedies brought on by the Nazis constitute the greatest calamity of the 20th century (and possibly in all of history) and images of that regime should not be used lightly, lest they lose their power to remind us of the extent of that tragedy.

If someone is trying to make a statement about that tragedy and wants to use that imagery...fine. If someone is just trying to establish a reputation as an "artist" that is "edgy", I think it is in poor form and, as others have commented, a little tired, overused, etc.