Standard lensboard dimensions

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by hvandam2, Dec 17, 2009.

1. hvandam2

hvandam2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello everyone,

I'm building a 4x5 and wondering if there is a "standard size" for lensboards? Perhaps the Linhof size?

Thanks in advance!

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You'd be best getting hold of a Linhof/Wista style board and building the front standard to take them, they have a ring on the rear that helps provide a light trap and so you need to get everything as close a fit as possible.

Ian

3. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello

I'd go for either the Linhof of the Sinar sizes. Sinar is nice as it is bigger but, on the other hand... it is bigger:D. This may not be an issue, except for portability. If you want to use BIG lenses (shutter sizes 3 and bigger), then may be Sinar would be better (but a #3 can also be used on a Linhof style lens board, if the rear element is not too big.

4. hvandam2

hvandam2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, I'll look for a Linhof board and use it as my template for sizes. It looks like there are some Originals as well as knockoffs on Ebay.

5. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Long ago there were something like standard sizes. The most common was 4" square and 1/4" thick with a 1/8" deep and 1/4" wide rabbet around the edge. It was used on anniversary model Speed Graphics, many Burke & James cameras, Graphic View cameras, and countless others. These can easily be cut with just a table saw or built up from 1/8" plywood available at hobby shops.