Star Camera Company wet-plate adaptations

Discussion in 'Plate Cameras and Accessories' started by Removed Account, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Removed Account

Removed Account Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So I am now 1 week in to a new obsession with wet-plate and am looking in to purchasing an 8x10 to adapt to the purpose. I've found the Star Camera Company's webpage and they sound like they'd bo the ones to make a wet-plate back for this camera. Does anyone here have experience with them performing this type of work? I'd ask on the wet-plate forum but I've emailed Quinn twice last week to join without a response. I'd presume he's busy doing his own work, something which I could learn from! :D :rolleyes:

2. smieglitz

smieglitz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You might also try asking on the Civil War Reenactors Photography Forum.

In addition to Ray Morgenwick (sp?) of the Star Camera Company, Wayne Pierce also does conversions and makes some wetplate gear. Both Ray and Wayne post regularly on that forum.

3. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I highly recommend Wayne Pierce for this type of work. He made an 11x14 wet plate back for my Korona and his work is top notch.

4. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Both these guys are working, practicing wet-plate photographers. They know what they are making.

5. rknewcomb

rknewcomb Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    In the next few days I will be putting up for sale an American Optical Scoville 11x14 camera that has an unused Wayne Pierce 10x12 inch wetplate back complete with an 8x10 reduction insert. Beautiful, with new bellows, just add a lens and your ready to shoot.
    Stay tuned.
    Robert N.

6. Dorothy Blum Cooper

Dorothy Blum Cooper Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We spoke with Ray on a few occasions about two years ago regarding a back for my 8x10. While we ended up doing something a bit different ourselves for the tintype work, I still wouldn't hesitate to use him.

My .02 cents. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2008
  7. mark

mark Member

Robert, your are a tease, then again so is Dorothy's avatar. Drool Drool hubba hubba :tongue:

Over on the civil war whatcha ma callit there is a book that some one has, which shows how to make one of these backs. I am trying to find the author's e-mail.

8. rknewcomb

rknewcomb Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This American Optical Scovill wetplate camera is listed over on the Civil War wetplate photographers site.
    http://www.cwreenactors.com/phorum/index.php

When and if I can, I'll list it here for those that are interested.

thanks,

Robert N.

9. eddie gunks

eddie gunks Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    hi all,

i am having trouble with this website listed above. i ca not log in. i tried to create a new name but it still does not work. i am unable to find any "contact webmaster" button or area. can some one help? can some one geta message "IN" so i can go play?

thanks

eddie

10. rrankin

rrankin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You don't need to have a username/login to READ the postings. You can just click on 'Forum List'. You might be able to scrounge an email contact in one of the postings.

Cheers, Richard

11. smieglitz

smieglitz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format