Star Wars VII

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Photo Engineer, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It has been announced that Disney is filming the new Star Wars series using Kodak 35mm film. In doing so, they hope to recapture the "ambiance" of the original films. They apparently will not be shooting any original in-camera work digitally. Thus they are abandoning the look of the last 3 films (I - III).

PE

2. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is most excellent news.

3. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One can only hope the script writing is better than the last three.

4. toro_mike

toro_mike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    J.J Abrahams dislikes Digital and prefers models to cgi (I agree they look better), David Mindel ASC, BSC will be the DoP I think it's funny that J.J. Abrahams the director of Star Trek is to direct a Star Wars Movie though. I hope he doesn't create an alternate Star Wars Universe like he did for Star Trek. The Films looked nice but the story was shit the artificial flare was disgusting but Abrahams seems to love it. Still superb news for Film.

6. toro_mike

toro_mike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hooray to Disney for at least that. I can't say I'm interrested in seeing any more star bores movies. My daughter is a huge SW fan yet doesn't want any more either.

8. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just had a vision about the new Darth Vader and how he reveals himself to Luke. Int. Deathstar - Day/Night
    Series of shots
    1 Darth Vade removes his helmet

Darth Vader
    (squeaky mousy voice)
    Luke (heavy breathing) I am you're favorite Rodent

2 and reveals the face of Mickey Mouse

Luke
    Mickey?

9. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the correction don't know why I made this mistake maybe thinking to much about tanks.

11. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, the tanks are Abrams as well. (hubby started as a tanker D Co., 3/77th Armor, early 1990s)

And I echo the thought about the writing, but I definitely look forward to seeing them as the cgi was getting more and more annoying.

12. Michael R 1974

Michael R 1974 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What specifically do they mean by "ambiance"?

13. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A few years ago there was a network TV crime or FBI show (I never watched). Can't remember the name of it. It had a thin pale, blonde lead actress whose hair was always a mess, which is about all I can describe the program with. But I think it was shot in digital and it always had a blueish, cold, contrasty look--just awful. No saturation. I think it's gone off the air now maybe, but THAT is as good an examble of bad of "ambiance" as I can point out. Just a terrible program, largely because of the digital shooting (and the blonde who needed a brush).

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Michael R 1974

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know, I assume good post production can make digital look fine. I guess my point is if digital is done to look like film, I doubt anyone in the theater can tell the difference. In other words, this is just the evil Disney marketing machine trying to appeal to people who liked the original three movies. They'll still be using CGI to do all the effects, ships etc. anyway, right? It's not like anyone is going to build physical models like they did for the original series, are they?

16. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Never seen Star Wars. Just never was a fan.

17. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I've mentioned before Abrams is a big fan of model and yes there will be some CGI but to a lesser extent than other Sci-Fi Movies. Miniature models are still superior to cgi and the cost are almost the same. Due to the overuse of digital manipulation at the DI Stage film looks almost like digital and not vice versa (Transformers 2 is a good example). Unmanipulated film looks very different to say the RED look (Video) or Arri Alexa look (better than Video) and even a half blind monkey can spot the difference. The question is wether the moviegoers care or not.

18. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry about the tank and name of the director

19. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wish I knew what "ambiance" meant in this context. And, "The Empire Strikes Back" used many models instead of CGI.

PE

20. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure if I'm interested in the new Star Wars. The first three certainly were good. When the fourth (Episode 1) came out I was very disappointed. Not only were the computer graphics less realistic than models and puppets, but the cinematography seemed lacking, and the story line was very poorly executed. I didn't even watch the next ones all the way through when they hit TV - just the odd 15-minutes when channel surfing.

Although I can overlook cgi and digital to a point (a story like Star Wars does require the typical suspension of disbelief as it is), the writing and plot are what turned me off.

21. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That ought to be good for a few million feet of film. Good for Kodak!

22. Michael R 1974

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The models were fantastic. In fact, the most realistic looking space sequences I've ever seen are still in 2001: a space odyssey. I've never seen CGI come close, and that film was made in the mid 60s.

23. GregW

GregW Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A friend who makes models for movies told me once that they use modified hand crank silent movie era cameras to film the models some times?

24. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Suppose all the film used for these movies was translated into 36exp rolls. Can anyone give an estimate of how much film will be used?

25. AndreasT

AndreasT Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I remember in my young days, a long long time ago in a country far away I used to take a torch switch off the lights in our house and close the curtains. Battling away with the torch slicing my foes in two. Seeing each of the old movies about 30 times (I actually counted believe me). Knowing the lines by heart.
    Then came along episode1.
    My what crap. Then Epidisode 2. even worse. Episode3 I didn't bother to watch.
    Since then Star Wars has died for me and I never ever saw the old movies either since then.
    A loss certainly.

26. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For the Hobbit trilogy, they estimated that if they had shot all of the principal photography on film instead of the digital, they would have used 24 million feet - so about 4 million rolls of 36-exposure 35mm film. This does not include reshoots, pick-ups or additional scenes not shot during the primary shooting schedule. If you are interested, there is a series of video blogs on YouTube that Peter Jackson is doing where they discuss such things, as well as all geeky things LOTR related.

So, for a single movie, about 1.3 million rolls (8 million feet) and if they make a trilogy as they intend, even more than what the Hobbit did because all three of the the Hobbit films were shot at the same time, so there was an economy that shooting three separate movies would not have. Course, they are shooting at 48 frames a second as opposed to the normal 24 fps and it is in 3-D, so my calculations might be off. I have no way of calculating the real scale.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2013