Starting times for HP5+ in Xtol (1:1)

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by mmmichel, Nov 1, 2005.

1. mmmichel

mmmichel Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Does anyone use this combination? I really like Xtol 1:1 for tmx and tri-X and recently started using HP5+. However, the times posted by Kodak and "The Film Developing Cookbook" (12 min @ 68deg F) have led to negs that are considerably more dense than similarly exposed tri-X negs. Can anyone recommend a better starting time?

2. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You don't mention your ASA, so go to MDC for the times you need.

3. Huub S

Huub S Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I had the same experience when using this combination in a rotary processor. After some experimenting i arrived at 7.5 minutes at 20 c for N-development. Using this a starting point i would suggest something like 8 or 8.5 minutes for developing in a small tank.

4. mmmichel

mmmichel Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sorry for the incomplete information. I am exposing at the nominal speed (ISO 400), and developing in a small tank. Regarding the Massive Developing Chart, they have listed the same (seemingly erroneous) time mentioned above. Part of the problem with the MDC is that they don't provide any method for determining whether anyone has actually tried the indicated times, or whether they were just suggested manufacturer times. Maybe we here on Apug.org should put together our own list of verified times for popular developer/film/ISO combinations.

5. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Our own Dev. chart? Good idea!

6. Jordan

Jordan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For what it's worth, I've been using MYTOL (a home-brew relative of XTOL) with HP5 Plus at 1+1 dilution for 7.5 mins at 24C. I get what seems to be a decent ISO 400 out of it. It's a nice combination.

7. tendim

tendim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used that combination, and you are right: they are dense. My negatives are absolutely bulletproof. I attributed it to shooting conditions (middle of a super bright day, very high contrast..), but I'm happy to hear that I'm not crazy. lol.