Starting with 35mm!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Jim Fitzgerald, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have a good friend who's 11 yr. old son has expressed an interest in photography. Traditional photography! I am going to give him my old Canon AE-1 system and help him get started. I would love some suggested reading materials that I can provide for this fine young man. Hands on will be the best learning device. Have you found an inspirational book to get someone started?

2. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, A. A. Blaker's book Field Photography isn't as inspirational as some but it gives better explanations of the basics than any of the other photography primers I've read. And because it was published in 1976 its about gear rather similar to the AE-1. Out of print, available through on-line used book search services like, to name a few, abebooks.com, addall.com, amazon.com. There are others too.

3. Karl K

Karl K Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  4. Derek Lofgreen

Derek Lofgreen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't bore him with a book. He's 11, for crying out loud. Just give him the camera to shoot and a lot of film to burn. That's how most 11 year olds will learn. I have two very bright boys that love to shoot, but give them a book about it and they look at you like your from another planet. I just tell them to keep the needle in the middle and 80% of the shots work.

D.

5. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks for all of the help. Getting your hands on a camera is a great feeling. Using is the best way to learn. We have all learned from our mistakes. Then we start reading to add to the confusion. Thanks everyone.

6. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Small and easy booklet. Kodak guide to taking great pictures will get any 35mm enthusiast started.

7. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Teach him the sunny F11 rule and let his imagination soar...

8. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Damn! I always thought it was Sunny/16!

Know wonder I've been underexposed all these years! :rolleyes:

9. Earl Dunbar

Earl Dunbar Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whoa! When my son was 11, he devoured any book about whatever subject interested him. They ain't all created the same, you know! :wink:

George: Sunny/11 in NYC, Sunny/22 in Tucson. Maybe you were averaging? :tongue:

10. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The one thing you might want to do is to check the integrity of the foam seals, if they haven't been replaced.

If it's the original foam seals, it's highly likely that they need to be replaced. Be careful to not let any of that STUFF get into the shutter.

As far as books, depends on the kid. Some kids love to read. Others, not so much.

I believe John Hedgecoe has a nice variety of titles that should appeal to most photographers.

11. Bromo33333

Bromo33333 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak has an old classic called "How to take Good Pictures" that is a great simple book.

But mostly, getting the kid out and having him take lots of photographs is the best way! :smile:

12. BlueWind

BlueWind Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello
    Together with a book may I suggest this on-line camera simulator
    http://www.photonhead.com/simcam/
    very vivid examples of combinations of speed & aperture, camera shake artifacts vs out-of-focus shots, etc
    Great (not only) for beginners
    Regards
    Joao

13. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I suggest the first edition of "The Photographer's Handbook". A beginning photographer can spend countless hours roaming through its' pages.

Cheers

14. petebown

petebown Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The Photography Bible by Daniel Lezano.

I recently bought this book for my 11 year old daughter. I'm very impressed with it. It covers both traditional and digital photography. Its not too heavy reading and has loads of colour pictures throughout.

15. papisa

papisa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Greetings Jim, i dialed up the site that BlueWind suggested, it is an excellant page for a beginner like me and even for a 11 year old to understand, it is easy to understand and read because it shows you the differences of how the camera works.
    Remember one thing Jim, it is like taking a young boy or girl fishing for the first, make it fun for them, not boring because they will lose interest right away. Good luck.
    Mike.

16. wheelygirl

wheelygirl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey, Jim!
    As much as I love reading, I have so much more actual fun by just going out there in "the wild blue yonder" taking 'pitchers'. And I'm 48 years old!!!! Just get the boy out and about.

17. negativeattitude

negativeattitude Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Of the dozens of photography books I have aquired over the years, I find one of the best to be Ray Koken's "Better Pictures Through Good Composition". I bought my first copy directly from Mr. Koken in the late sixties for $1.00. They are now available from Swanland's Camera, 527 F Street, Eureka, CA. 95501. Tel. 707-442-4522 for $4.95 each. This little 40 or so page booklet is easily read and understood by young folks. I bought a few of these for our photography club and recently.