Steaming up Lens'....??!!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by detune, Aug 17, 2006.

1. detune

detune Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Twice since I've come back to NZ from overseas I've had 2 of my Lens steam up inside, my 24-70 L and 16-35 L. The 24-70 would make sense as I did use it in the rain in Hong Kong but since its both of them... hmmm...

The other photographer shooting a show with me last night checked it and suggested it could be that the lens was freezing cold and the venue was really hot.

So do L lens steam up if the environment change is severe enough? These lens have performed flawlessly until I started storing them in my Lowerpro backpack. Maybe they're coming out too cold?

2. eumenius

eumenius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Uh-oh, that's an issue! I always thought better about hydraulic insulation on these Ls. Take measures immediately - put the lenses in a hermetically sealed plastic bag with some kind of dehydrating agent, fresh silica gel or rice dried in a hot skillet (not fried). That would take the mist out of the lens in a day or so. If it stays there for long enough, the prospects are not too bright :sad:

3. detune

detune Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    aahhh yeah its stressing me out a bit, the steam goes quite quickly, doesn't hang around long after leaving the location...!? But yeah I might try finding some silica and leaving it with that for a while...

4. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am no expert on Canon law. It does seem to me to be a L of a situation.

I would follow the advice of Mr Kulikov.

5. detune

detune Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ok, I wonder where I can buy Silica Gel from...

6. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pharmacy's often throw out lots of these little packs., They're used to keep pills dry. Ask your friendly pharmacist, he/she will likely be happy to give you some.

7. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you have lenses that are steaming up on the inside with normal use, they need to go back to Canon and be checked out, this is not normal and normally means the intergrity of the lens has been comprimise, I would get a hold of your local Canon dealer and see how they may be able to help, if not them, then get a hold of Canon, in a almost sealed enviorment such as is in the modern lenses of this nature, your opening yourself up to having fungus form on the inside of the lens, which would be expensive to get repaired.

Dave

8. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check wih camping/fishing equipment suppliers.

9. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I find myself sort of intrigued. You do not have access to rice, a heat source and a frying pan? Ask your girlfriend for help and then try to find a nice way to repay the favor.

10. detune

detune Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Dave, yeah I am worried about the mold in the lens but I'm off to NYC again in a few weeks and dont have time or can't chance having Canon look at my lens and not get them back to me in time. I need my 24-70...!!!
    Hmm rice in a hot skillet... must have some somewhere... or i might just go visit a h/w store and get some silica :smile: it'll have to do for now I guess.

11. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I don't think this is entirely the case here. As they are zooms there has to be ingress and egress of air to accommodate the varying separation of the lens cells. I'd be a lot more worried with primes.

I keep most of my more valuable kit in a humidity-controlled cabinet (Wonderful Dry Case Company). An expensive solution, but right at the moment it's probably got $20,000+ worth of kit in it. Two Alpas is a good start...

Cheers,

Roger

12. detune

detune Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey Roger, yeah that would make sense re the zoom's, the other photog on the night was telling me how they're not 100% sealed and the fact that they went from freezing in my bag (its winter in NZ) to steaming hot could've been a factor.. I'm really hoping for this but I've found some silica at home so I've stuck that in amongst the gear.

I'd be keen as to leave the 24-70 with canon to get a clean and re calibrate but I'm off to NYC in early sept and can't risk them taking too long to get it back to me...

13. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Remember that silicone needs to be reactivated when it is saturated. The advice is to heat it on an iron plate or shovel in the oven. The recommendation for iron is probably because you get a reaction with light alloy: I just don't know. Some silica gel has an indicator built in -- one colour for wet, one for dry, usually pinky-purple for wet, blue for dry.

I really wouldn't worry about the streaming up all that much. I've had similar problems from time to time with various lenses and never felt the need to do anything. It's long-term storage in a humid environment that promotes fungus. Storage in a ZipLoc or similar sealed bag, with a silica gel bag or (as Claire suggested) oven-dried rice in a little cloth sachet, is probably the best when you're not using the kit for any length of time, or when you are travelling.

Cheers,

R.

14. detune

detune Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Roger, I hope your right :smile: still, your words are putting me my mind to rest a bit, stressful time for me... see what happens!

15. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Roger,

The information I posted came directly from our Canon represenative when I worked at the local pro photo store, he told us that anytime a L lens exhibits moisture problems it needs to be sent to Canon to be repaired because of a breech in the seals.

Take it for what it is, I have a tendancy to believe the people who make the lens over the speculation of those shooting them, I have shot the L lenses in temps down to 40 below in the rockies here, and gone it an out of warming shacks during the winter and never had any moisture problems.

Dave

16. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Fair enough, Dave -- though to be honest, I'd trust your anecdotal evidence a lot further than I'd trust the average rep. Some are technically knowledgeable; some aren't. Like the Jaguar tech rep who tried to persuade me that a V6 is inherently smoother than a straight six.

Cheers,

Roger

17. detune

detune Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey Dave, hope you don't mind the question... Seal repair is going to be painful to my wallet isn't it?

I just dont understand how 2 of my L lens could do this. One maybe but 2 of them seems odd. I kinda hoped I'd pay the cost of an L to have less issues!

18. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Hi,

My suggestion would be to email canon service describe whats happening and let them tell you what you need to do, that way you know for sure..and they should be able to let you know approx what a repair would cost, as Roger said the rep may have been blowing smoke...so it would be best to get the info straight from the horses mouth...

Dave

19. detune

detune Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    sounds like good advice, might have to give them a call on Monday...

Thanks all for your help :smile: