Step Up Rings

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by nwilkins, Aug 30, 2012.

1. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi there,

I just got a Nikon FM2 and so now I need to buy a step up ring so I can use my 77mm filters on it. I know I need a 52mm-77mm step up ring. My question is whether there is any potential problem with buying a cheap (c. $10) one? Do I really need to spend $47.50 (Heliopan) for a step up ring?

2. Aja B

Aja B Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not just 'no' but heck no! Get a cheap-o ring and get busy with that FM2. I have a couple Heliopan rings because they were the only ones available in hard-to-find sizes while all other rings of mine are from who-knows-where. Haven't been able to discern a difference.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2012
  3. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's a threaded metal ring, for crying out loud. Putting a brand on it is just a waste of money.

If it's brass instead of aluminium then it's less likely to seize, but you just don't make a habit of leaving the Al one on your camera.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have fancy ones and cheap ones, and no question, the nice brass ones are smoother in operation, but the cheap ones get the job done.

5. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    that is what I figured - I ordered the $10 version earlier today but just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing.

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a bunch of cheap ones all work great.

Jeff

7. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just don't get the plastic ones - the two I have had both broke quickly, were difficult to thread properly and became "wiggly" on a hot day (the plastic was melting). Stick with metal.

8. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One thing to consider is the seizing problem. It does not happen very often.
    However, if the filter seizes to the SUR, separating the two can be a major problem.

Seizing typically occurs when two aluminum parts are threaded together (mated).
    The easiest way to eliminate the potential problem is to use a brass SUR if you're mating an aluminum filter to an aluminum lens.

- Leigh

9. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    They make plastic step-up rings? I have not seen any but I am not that surprised.

I did recently see a plastic tripod. It weighed next to nothing. It also could hold next to nothing!

10. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Leigh - my filters are brass so I'm won't worry about it. Also I can't imagine leaving them on for any length of time.

11. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In one of my weaker moments, I order some from eBay -it cost almost nothing ($3 including shipping if I recall) and lasted one shoot before snapping. The second one from a different seller was no better. I bought some better ones and have never regretted it. I also have a plastic tripod one of my friends bought for me at a garage sale ("I know you like pictures" she said) - I trust it with an external flash and thats about it.

12. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I often put three or four tiny scrapes of candle wax on the threads of aluminum filters or adapters before first use; the end of a birthday cake candle every inch or so around the circumference. That provides a slight lubrication that works into the thread but otherwise doesn't migrate much and seems to smooth out their operation.

I would advise not getting too gorilla-like in tightening such rings, just enough they don't wiggle or wobble.

13. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A tiny bit of candlewax on the threads will ameliorate this problem.

14. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's excellent advice.

Some folks tighten filters like a pipe fitting, causing problems that need not exist in the first place.

Filters and SURs are flimsy, having no strength against deformation.
    Trying to separate those two parts seized together is particularly difficult since significant pressure will bend them out of shape.
    Filter wrenches may or may not work.

- Leigh

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2012
  15. Photo-gear

Photo-gear Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought a set of cheap step-up and step-down rings and too many times, there were vignettes on my pictures. The size of my rings average down between 3 & 5 mm. I don't know what to think of that but I use less and less those rings.

One thing for sure, what matters the most is the ring size or tightening as DWThomas said. tightening is the rule, so far.

16. Photo-gear

Photo-gear Member

Shooter:
    35mm