sticky filters - OFF!!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by brianentz, Mar 31, 2012.

1. brianentz

brianentz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    any suggestions on dealing with filters that get stuck. I keep mine on a stack with the metal caps , but I get filters stuck together. Alternately, the UV filters that are supposed to reside on the lens end keep getting loose when I don't want them to. Does anyone ever apply wax or silicone or anything to prevent filters from getting stuck or, conversely anything to the threads of a filter that you would like to stay put?

2. SWphoto

SWphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find using one of those rubber "gripper pads" used for opening jars works pretty well. Just lay the gripper flat on a table, put the stuck filter on it and use even hand pressure with the palm of your hand to press down and rotate.

I'd be concerned about using wax or silicone, that it might attract dirt, gum up the works and melt onto the glass. But I've never tried it...

3. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ^^^^ Yep, what he said.

That's the standard technique in the repair industry for separating filters from lenses or from each other.
    It avoids distorting the filter body, as can happen if you apply pressure to the periphery.

- Leigh

4. brianentz

brianentz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    the problem is that one of the stuck filters with I'm dealing with at the moment is a polarizer, so I only have that thin thread to grip on to.

5. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    they sell a product called a filter wrench that are in specific sizes which go around the perimeter of the lens.

Also you can try rubbing a bit of graphite next time onto the threads to keep this from happening.

6. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take a twist tie, the kind made of a wire sandwiched between two narrow strips of heavy paper.

Run this around the polarizer with the paper flat against the rim and the wire in the groove between the two sections.
    Twist the ends of the twist tie together and tighten gently just until the two sections bind together, then try the rubber sheet trick.

- Leigh

7. brianentz

brianentz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    got it off. Your technique worked well.

8. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No fancy tools needed, certainly not filter wrenches that can over-tighten filters.
    Keep some rubber bands handy in your kit, one of which should always be on the filter stack for quick deployment as extra leverage for getting off sticky filters.
    A smear of KY jelly in the filter thread (just a tiny smear) works a treat for avoiding getting stuck. Has other uses too. :smile:

9. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Be careful with those wrenches and stuff. You'll get your lens loose. And NOTHING in the world is more annoying then a loose lens or a lens with a WOBBLE.
    Makes me wanna smash it on the ground.

I'd put the lens in the freezer, first. If doesn't work, put it back in the freezer and then in a mildly hot oven (I said mildly) just so there is enough of a temperature contrast. The filter should go off easily.

10. lacavol

lacavol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use NYOIL on the threads, applied about once every 3 to 4 years when one gets sticky. I use about a half drop on my index finger and thumb, rub it into the skin until there is almost nothing there. Then I run my finger and thumb around the threads. It mainly just takes the crud off and leaves a few molecules as a lubricant. I then wipe with a dry cotton bud. It seems to leave enough lubricant without being messy.

11. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  12. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Had problems with a cheapo 67>77mm step ring. Used it to mount a big Mamiya 77mm polarizer on 67mm Bronica glass. Damn thing would jam--and I mean like welded--tight on the polarizer. Finally wised up that it was the unhappy marriage of aluminum ring to the brass threads of the polarizer. Simply wrapped thumb and index finger around the step ring, warmed it up for 30sec or so, and off it came--easily. Won't detail the embarrassing--and futile--efforts that preceded this simple solution.

13. Vilk

Vilk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    i press the filter flat against my boot sole, then rotate the camera. never failed. for the scientifically minded--zamberlan vioz gt, custom vibram original :cool:

14. Two23

Two23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I too use the freezer trick. It works most of the time. when it isn't enough, I refreeze and then use the rubber band trick.

Kent in SD

15. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Parrafin/canning wax works well as a lube for threads. Actually any hard wax will work and leave little or no residue.

16. brianentz

brianentz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    excellent suggestions. graphite or NYOIL. I'll check them out. What sort of graphite? Where would you get it?

17. BobD

BobD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use rubber gloves (medical type)

While applying all my strength at unscrewing, I find it also helps to shout vicious and profane curses at the idiot who screwed it on so tightly.

18. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So does Chapstick.