Stock Photo Licencing Rates

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by brass majestic, Feb 24, 2014.

1. brass majestic

brass majestic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Specifically I've been asked by a friend (not a close one - an acquaintance) to use one of my b&w photographs on the cover of his new crime novel paperback. I do not know yet the the print run or much else. Anybody have a general idea what I should charge? I'm thinking at least $200 and maybe as much as $600.

2. TheMissingLink

TheMissingLink Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Brass,

we have it a bit more easy as we have some guidelines for calculation, you probably also find some.

The amount depends on the size of the edition.

With the following I found as recommandation in 2013:

Sorry, only in German:

http://www.mediafon.net/meldung_volltext.php3?id=43146fe782e92&akt=empfehlungen_empfehlungen

Go to 2.) Zeitschriften (Magazines) ... booklets

Choose your editon, e.g. 25.000 and on the most right column "title" --> "450" Euro ...

Depending on the size of the edition you have a nice guideline and a help for argueing ;-)

hth
    Horst

3. Mike Crawford

Mike Crawford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for posting that Horst, really useful. Are they suggested rated for reproduction and print runs in Germany or actual official rates? My German is bad enough to understand the charts but not the small print!

4. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I recommend going to Getty Images, finding some similar types of photos, and checking their pricing. They have pricing schemes for all type of licensing.

5. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another source of pricing is the annual pricing guide published by the Graphic Artists Guild. It's useful for licensing when you have a request for an offbeat usage, as they have suggested rates for just about anything you could possibly imagine. Most bookstores carry it, or you can find it on Amazon.