stolen leica Elmarit -M 90mm

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by dxphoto, Aug 30, 2008.

1. dxphoto

dxphoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just let u guys know someone stole the Elmarit -M 90mm lens from me last friday. I bought it from the ebay and the UPS left it by the door without me signing the package. Someone took the package. the serial # is 3898731. Hope it can be recovered. .. It took me a while to come up the money to get a new lens and I got it and I didn't even see the lens before it was stolen.

2. nemo999

nemo999 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hope you get the lens back, but if not, you must surely have a very strong case for full compensation from UPS - they did not keep to the agreed terms of business (signature to be obtained) and essentially left your package lying around in the street!

3. mrwestphal

mrwestphal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nemo999, sorry to say that this has happened to me to many times to list from UPS and basically you are SOL. according to UPS they have the right to leave packages at personal residences with out a signature! go figure!
    I have even had them deliver packages to other residences not even resembling my street or #??? After having my last package brought to me from a very nice person I called UPS to let them know that there driver screwed up and they refused me even an a apology!

I HATE UPS AND NOW REFUSE TO USE THEM!

DXPHOTO, I am very sorry to hear about your loss and hope you have better luck that most of the times I've had.

Doug W.

4. Harry Lockwood

Harry Lockwood Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, UPS is a disaster. They won't even ring the doorbell to let you know there has been a delivery. FedEx is somewhat better. And if a signature is required, they will get it or schedule a new delivery date. At least that's my experience.

Harry

5. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry to hear that. The best experience I've had is from DHL - they'll actually call before attempting a first delivery to make sure I'll be home, and if not, I can pick it up at their depot. UPS and FedEx will both attempt a delivery first before allowing me to call in and have them hold it, which is pretty pointless if they try to deliver at home during the week when I'm at work.

6. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

You delivery address should read

Mr. XXX + phone number
    c/o UPS + town
    Distribution point address

They will put on will call for you to pick up.

I also use the local UPS Store and pay $5.00, but you need to make arrangements ahead to set up account.
    You can not use UP Mail for this, only Fed EP or UPS.

Anything of value will go one of the above two ways.

7. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you hear that UPS and FedEX are going to merge, they are going to be called FedUP! :tongue:

Jeff

8. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had 3 packages lost on route or stolen after delivery.U.P.S and CanPost.
    P.I.T.A

9. pleibowitz

pleibowitz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you paid using a credit card, call your credit card company and request a stop payment. Your credit card company should have you covered if your package was stolen during the delivery process and never received by you.

10. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I LOATHE UPS. I'll just leave it at that or else I'll start a multi-page rant about their various sins. Short version, I do my very best to avoid using them, and if possible, I don't do business with companies that don't give me the option of choosing someone else to ship with. Sometimes it is unavoidable, in cases where someone doesn't tell you/ignores your request to ship another way, or it is an individual seller that has something you want and it is rare/unique/only available from that seller. Those exceptions are the only ones.