Stop down metering with Nikon

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Matt5791, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently acquired a really nice Nikon 20mm UD Nikkor, which is a non-AI lens.

I use a Nikon FE2 - can someone let me know the correct procedure to meter with this lens?

Many thanks,

Matt

2. Smudger

Smudger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stop down metering with FE2..

Matt : from the FE2 instruction book : " Lenses with auto diaphragms : camera set "Auto" :depress d.o.f lever all the way,and,while holding it in,take the shot.Or: depress dof lever,hold it in,push the self timer lever towards the camera body to lock in the exposure setting and take the shot.
    Camera on Manual setting: Match the needle( & green bar) by adjusting shutter/diaphragm, while holding in the dof lever. Then release the lever and take the shot".
    Note : make sure the lens clears the meter coupling lever when fitted, or you will damage the camera.

3. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Won't the aperture ring bind the meter coupling? You might need the lens AI'd.

5. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since I find through the lens metering with pre-AI and preset lenses to be a pain, I usually just use a hand meter to determine exposure.

6. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mounting this lens on the FE2 will very likely break or damage your AI meter coupling tab unless you have it AI-modified.