storage of chemicals in a wine bottle with Vacu Vin stopper

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by ymc226, May 14, 2009.

1. ymc226

ymc226 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great idea! Just make sure the bottles are really clean to start with and that the stoppers are never used for wine. :smile:

Steve

3. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, Lawrence, I have done this and it works. Just be sure to clean out the bottle very well!

4. Bruce Watson

Bruce Watson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've been doing this for about five years now. Best photo chemical storage system I've used without question.

5. RH Designs

RH Designs Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, been doing it for years without problems. My local grocer sells his house wine in 1 litre bottles which are perfect. Just don't mix up the stoppers with the ones you use for wine!

6. RobertV

RobertV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only disadvantage is that you need a funel. In that way the Jobo HD-PE and wide neck bottles are easier in practical use.
    For critical applications (oxidation) however I use the Vacu Vin stopper for many many years.

7. mcfactor

mcfactor Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I do this too and it works great

8. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I do something similar, but I use a Pump-N-Seal, which is designed to use relatively wide-mouth jars rather than wine bottles. I generally use Snapple and similar drink bottles in sizes ranging from about 300ml to 1l. I noticed a marked reduction in the rate at which developers go dark during storage after I began using this system. At a guess, I'd say it roughly doubles the useful life of developers.

One caveat with the Pump-N-Seal, which may not apply to the VacuVin: The caps eventually stop sealing well, I believe because the rubber becomes brittle. I therefore need to replace the caps periodically. This isn't a big deal, but it does add to the consumable cost -- I've got to go buy another bottle of Snapple (or whatever) and use one of the tabs that came with the Pump-N-Seal.