Storing focusing screens?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by amsp, Mar 21, 2013.

1. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just bought a new focusing screen for my rz67 and was surprised to see that it didn't come with a hard protective box, just a plastic soft case. Anyone have any tips on what I could use to store it in my camera bag safely and avoid scratches?

Cheers

2. Vilk

Vilk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wrap mine loosely in a couple of sheets of tiffen lens cleaning tissue before stuffing them back into whatever they came in, usually and old cardboard box or a little plastic bag... That's for storage though; I've never found a reason to carry extra screens in the field.

Have another look--perhaps the box has little dents to keep the screen from touching anything, better than any wrap.

3. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The original packaging is very rudimentary, just a plastic soft case inside a cardboard box. The thing is I expect to change screens somewhat frequently because the new one is for digital and the old one I will use for film. So finding some sort of hard case solution would be nice.

I was expecting something like this:

$(KGrHqVHJDcFBucuNligBQl2PrEhQQ~~60_12.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013
  4. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you have any cases that lens filters come in? If you take the round insert out, you may be able to fit that in pretty nicely.

5. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't know where you are located but if there is a Container Store there they have a great variety of storage items.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

6. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I looked but could only find a bunch of round cases unfortunately, nothing that would fit a focusing screen.

7. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Jeffrey, I'm currently in Sweden, no such store here I'm afraid.

8. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A single Cokin filter box would probably be ideal - A series filters are 67mm wide, and P series, 84mm. Depending on the size of your screen, I suspect an A series case would do the job.

I might have one of the cases kicking around I could send you...

9. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Much appreciated Paul, if you find something you think might fit let me know. In the meantime I'm going to check local stores to see if there's any kind of container I could adapt to the purpose.

cheers

10. FL Guy

FL Guy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bigger than you need...

This suggestion is much bigger than you need......but could a CD case work, even if it is temporary?

FL Guy

11. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Dug out a couple of cases, one for Cokin type A filters, the other, a generic 'box'. The box measures 87mm square by 16mm deep (internal), whilst the Cokin case holds filters 67mm square - I suspect the box would be better suited for the purpose once another piece of foam is added.

Attached Files:

12. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Bronica focusing screens came simply...cardboard container with two sheets of thin polyurethane foam, and the screen was sandwiched between them.

[​IMG]

I suggest getting a metal box or plastic box and some thin sheets of foam to make an equivalent container.