Storing ilfochrome chemicals

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by darragh, Jan 13, 2010.

1. darragh

darragh Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi
    Can mixed ilfochrome be stored in accordian styled chemical bottles?
    Thanks
    Darragh

2. Lopaka

Lopaka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know - I have never stored working solution more than 12 hours. I mix what I need for a day's work.

Bob

3. darragh

darragh Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How long can a working solution be stored for?
    Also does the P-30/P-30P go stale if it is left unopened?
    Thanks
    Darragh

4. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No - The accordion-style containers are not as good as purported to be. I have had problems with them with basic B&W chemistry. The plastic is not high grade and is porous enough so that the chemistry degrades over short periods of time.

Ilfochrome chemistry does go bad, especially the developer. I have three unopened P3.5 kits that are no longer usable. I have read (maybe an old APUG post) that they have a shelf life of 2 years.

I have resorted to 'schedule' my Ilfochrome printing. I stock up on materials and then set aside several days where I print nothing but Ilfochrome until my chemistry is finished. Unfortunately this is not always possible - everyday life tends to get in the way...

Is it my imagination or was the first Cibachrome chemistry available in powder packets?

5. Erik L

Erik L Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The concentrate is good for 2 years, the working solution in a full stoppered bottle is good for 2 months and the working solution in a 1/2 full stoppered bottle is good for a month. This is from the literature that comes with the P30 2 liter kits.
    regards
    Erik

6. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The accordion bottles are terrible. Regular plastic bottles topped off are far superior. The ones you want are the glass ones topped off with nitrogen or with chemistry. No leakage.

7. davetravis

davetravis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The problem I had with the accordian bottles was keeping them compressed as the content decreased.
    Once I solved that, the chems lasted as long as they should.

8. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used accordion bottles for years and didn't seem to have any problems. Then again, I don't recall ever going more than 2 months with developer either.

I now think that glass is class (which is what I started with) and use a larger quantity of smaller bottles filled to the brim or top off with Nitrogen gas, which I don't have yet.

I am just getting round to setting up my darkroom again and from what others have stated, believe that 6 months storage is fine, maybe longer.