Strange lens

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by shicks5319, Feb 7, 2007.

1. shicks5319

shicks5319 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yesterday, while down at our local camera store shopping for a strap for my new M3, I was shown a lens that is susposed to be compatible (according to the guy behind the counter) with my M3.

This is a COSMICAR 1:3.5 135MM lens made by the Ichizuka Opt. Co. It has a screw mount, but I was told a baynet adaptor could be obtained. It's about the right size and appears to be a very well made lens.

Does anyone know about this lens? Are these guys for real?

Thanks for your comments.

2. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had never heard the name in my life, but brief research reveals that the company is now owned by Pentax and makes video camera lenses. If the 135 lens you have seen is in good shape, there's no reason why it shouldn't be usable, you need to factor in $50 for an adapter of course, so the lens itself needs to be fairly cheap ($60 to 70?). If the lens needs weird-sized filters, this might be a factor against as well.

3. shicks5319

shicks5319 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Adaptor

David,

Do you know where adaptors can be obtained? I brought the lens home (they gave it to me for $30). I thought it was worth a try, the glass appears to be in fine shape, the focus seems smooth and the appature appears to work.

4. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can find 39mm thread to Leica M bayonet adapters at Stephen Gandy's CameraQuest

http://www.cameraquest.com/

You also can often find them on eBay.

5. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it is in M39x1 (actually x 26 tpi but everyone says x1) with the right back focus for an LTM body, then you need a female LTM-to-male M adapter. These things exist and can even be found.

If it is in T-mount (M42x0.75) you'll want a female T mount-to-male M bayonet adapter. If such things exist, they're uncommon. Female T mount-to-male M39x1 are much less uncommon, but not exactly abundant. Given one of them, you'll also need the female M39x1-to-male M bayonet adapter mentioned above.

None of these adapters gives RF coupling, so you'll have to focus by guess or tape measure and trust the lens' focused distance scale.

If the lens is in Praktica/Pentax mount (M42x1), you're probably cooked.

6. David H. Bebbington

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Following Tom's link it appears that this supplier charges $55 for an adapter (the lens will then most definitely couple with the rangefinder of your M3). Genuine Leitz/Leica adapters are harder to find (only available second-hand) and will cost the same if not more.

Best regards,

David

7. shicks5319

shicks5319 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Images

Here are some images of the lens. Since I really did NOT quite understand what Dan was trying to tell me about T-mount v.s. 1X 39mm.

Maybe the pics will help zero in on just what this lens is.

Attached Files:

8. David H. Bebbington

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Your lens appears to have a screw thread at the rear. If this measures 39 mm across, you're home free (apart from needing a Leica screw-to-bayonet adapter). The T-mount system was mainly for old SLR lenses (and is now mainly for telescopes and similar devices), you could interchange an adapter at the rear of the lesn and fit it to numerous different SLRs. I have never seen a T-mount lens for Leica, they may exist, if they did they wouldn't couple with the rangefinder, but I am sure what you have is a Leica screw-thread (or Leica Thread Mount LTM) lens which will be fine for the M3 with an adapter as mentioned above.

9. shicks5319

shicks5319 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    adapter

Well I sent the pictures over to Stephen Gandy's CameraQuest.

We'll see what they say.

Thanks for everybody's help. I love this site.

10. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David, FYI t-mount lenses aren't for any camera in particular, they're for all 35 mm cameras with register shorter than 55 mm, the native t-mount register. There are indeed t-mount to LTM (as in Leica thread mount, not as in Zenit SLR) body adapters, I have two of them.

To my inexperienced eye the lens looks like a t-mount, doesn't seem to have an RF cam at the rear. Oh, well.

Cheers,

Dan

11. shicks5319

shicks5319 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The End

Dan might be right here.

This is what Stephen Cane says:

"it's a cheap Japanese lens for SLRs
    not RF probably a T mount on the back
    forget putting it on your M3."

Oh, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks to all who pitched in here.

12. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, as I said, if it is a t-mount lens putting it on your M will take two adapters. A mythical t-mount-to-LTM adapter, of which I have two, neither for sale, and a somewhat less mythical LTM to M adapter. And then guess focus.

13. David H. Bebbington

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Too bad your lens turned out to be M42, as you were told it would fit your Leica, I presume you will get your money back.
    If you are looking for a cheap but good 135 lens, I have had good results from a Jupiter 11, which looks like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jupiter-11-4-...ryZ30063QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    This came in 3 fittings, M42 for Pentax-type screw-thread SLRs, M39 for screw-thread Zenith SLRs (no good for Leica) and M39 for LTM. I had one of these in the 1960s and bought another a few years ago - both were good.

Incidentally Dan is quite right to say that T-mount lenses will fit anything and that it is the mount which is specific to one brand of camera. As Dan says, T-mounts for Leica do exist (but are very rare) but do not give rangefinder coupling, which you can (just) do without with a wide-angle lens but not a 135.

Regards,

David

14. shicks5319

shicks5319 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks David

Yeah Thanks, David.

I have a 50mm lens (came with the camera) and just picked up a 90mm from KEH. So I'll play with those for a while, save my pennies, and may look at the Jupiter down the road.

15. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At least five fittings, you are forgetting Contax mount for the Kiev rangefinders and the unique Kiev 10 mount. Alfred Klomp says it was also available in Exakta mount. Nice lens.