Strange light brackets

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by case-ie, Mar 28, 2013.

1. case-ie

case-ie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

I,m Case-ie and this is my first post

I have a problem with my Pentax ME Super, On a few roles of film now strange light brackets appear on the negatives and also between them. It's on always a few following negatives and with a lot of variation. If anybody has an idea what causes this, i'll be very pleased to hear it.

Case-ie

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2013
  2. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Do you know if the foam seals have been replaced on this camera? I would start here.

The foam seals degrade over time and can cause light leaks. If they've been replaced, then the next part of the discussion will begin.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With a light leak artefefact #1could not be explained.

I'm rather thinking of a exposure moving perpendicular to the shutter movement. This could explain the bent streaks.

4. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You're right. That does look like a shutter fault. I wonder if some debris (perhaps, old foam or a tiny piece of film or something else) has gotten into the shutter mechanism.

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Possible light leak.

Jeff

6. Yashinoff

Yashinoff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sticking mirror, or the mirror is coming down before the exposure has finished. Perhaps related to a disintegrating or sticky mirror bumper.

7. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought mirror - it looks like reflection - with the straight line at the top and then fading away towards the bottom.

8. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try this. Connect a flash to the camera with a PC cord. Don't mount the flash in the shoe. Remove the lens, and use the flash to freeze the motion of the shutter curtains. At synch speed or below, there should be a clear film gate, and the mirror should be well tucked up. At speeds above the synch speed, there will be a slit - the higher the shutter speed, the narrower the slit. The slit width should stay uniform for a given speed, and you should still be able to see whether the mirror is out of the way. Don't look directly at the flash!

This isn't an infallible test, due to the very short duration of the flah, but it might show you something - such as shutter wierdness.

9. case-ie

case-ie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your quick replies. I had mirror and shutter controlled in a analog camerashop no problems there. Of course they test them without the lens on. Sometimes parts of the picture are not lighted that must be a shutter problem.But the brackets go on on the unlighted areas between the negatives. And the mirror folds up and away from the film, reflection seems difficult.

10. summerbee

summerbee Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    agree. however if never given a good CLA won't hurt :wink:

11. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Light leak. Check the foam.
    Still doesn't explain frame #1 though.

12. case-ie

case-ie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mister van hoegh, had not read your reply when I replied, i also think there is a problem with the shutter but it was tested in a special set up in a analog camera shop but this is with the lens off the camera. Still the problem between the negatives. Thanks for your reply. never seen a light leak this tight they tend to spread out. I have also been thinking that it happens during filmtransport that I push the backside so it slightly tilts. maybe when advancing film or while transporting back, I think now next time I tape the camera close. then there still is the black line in picture 1 but that would be the shutter than.

13. Yashinoff

Yashinoff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The shutter may not be capped when when it cocks, but the mirror would prevent most light from getting through - which might be why a shop didn't catch the issue. This would explain the "sweeping" effect of the light leak. The MEs are apparently known for shutter issues, but likely it's just sticky from age.

One experiment would be to put a lens cap on when advancing the film. If the light leak between frames disappears then this is certainly the cause of it.

14. case-ie

case-ie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yashinoff, That sounds very plausible I will start with the lens cap right away. And maybe one evening free clicking the camera, probably it has not been used for a long time. Thank you very much. I would like to copy paste your answer to the dutch part of this site where I also posted this problem, if thats ok with you.
    Everybody thanks for your time .
    Case-ie

15. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Have the foam seals been replaced on this camera? If not, I would definitely replace them because deteriorating foam will at some point end up on the shutter blades.

16. Yashinoff

Yashinoff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It can also ruin film and just about everything else it touches.

17. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I see a lot of recommendation for CLA. I never had any of my cameras CLA and I wonder how much it cost to have it done. Remember a Pentax ME is hard to get $50 for in good condition.

18. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A CLA is mandatory periodic maintenance. The cost will vary, depending on the item being CLA'd, the degree of neglect/wear, etc. A good technician is important, too, "CLA" doesn't mean "squirt some solvent in, then put some 3-in-1 oil here and there".

You can get old cameras cheap, and the fool's approach is to get another one... which will need a CLA, just like the first one.
    If you want a reliable piece of equipment, get a CLA from a competent tech..