Strange negative carrier

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by fil, Oct 12, 2005.

1. fil

fil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

I somehow have ended up with a Beseler (? - not sure) negative carrier that has a strange size. The opening measures 76mm square, which is just over 3 inches. I've never heard of a 3 1/4 by 3 1/4 format, though.

Anyone know what kind of negative this is intended for?

cheers,
    fil

2. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh yea, that's Kodak's new digital format!
    Just kidding, I have not heard it either and I have all of the Beseler carriers you can think of. Except minox and 110. Maybe it's a special order size for some kind of document photo or yearbook etc.
    Maybe it's a factory blem! It might be minty for a collector who think they have everything. You can always email Beseler and they will tell you what it's all about. Is there a number on it?

Good luck and what a find,
    Curt

3. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    may it be a full frame for 70mm square?

4. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Someone might have had it made to square the negative on a:
    ... 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Super D Graphlex negative.

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Is that an electron microscope format?

6. Surly

Surly Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have quite a few neg carriers for my Omega that were modified and because they were done well, you cant tell they arent factory. Of course I have some horrible abominations as well. Are you willing to part with it? I could use something like that for my 45.

7. fil

fil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, I'm guessing it is a Beseler since I have Omega equipment and haven't seen a real Beseler carrier. It's circular with a tongue on the end. What's a standard Beseler size negative carrier diameter, and are they round or rectangular?

By the way, it definitely seems to be manufactured and not homemade, and has a black strip screwed to it as a 'stop' for the negative edge when you're lining the mysterious sized film up.

I'd post a d*****l picture, but this is APUG after all, so I will refrain unless you think it would be OK to do so.

cheers,
    ----
    fil

8. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it's round with a tongue then it sure sounds like a beseler. If it is a Beseler you should see a four digit number on the tongue. If it starts with a 2 then it's older. 8 and it's newer.

9. glennfromwy

glennfromwy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like one of the old lantern slide sizes.

10. fil

fil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's an image..

This discussion has gone every which way, so it's time to take a risk and post an image, which is below. Any new or confirmed guesses?

By the way, there are no numbers on the tongue so I guess it can't be a Beseler factory carrier. The overall carrier diameter is 5 3/4". And now that I think of it, the black strip which you see screwed to the carrier can't be for negative alignment since it goes on the OUTSIDE of the carrier opposite the side with registration pins.

This is getting quite interesting...

cheers,
    fil

Attached Files:

11. msage

msage Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    fil
    This does not look like any Bessler carrier I have ever seen. My bet is that it is "custom" carrier or for a scientific application.

Michael

12. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sheeesh, you guys are all freaking wrong. That's not a Beseler or an Omega carrier. Those are actually table tennis paddles with interchangeable faces.

Seriously, the tongue part, don't look like a Beseler. Looks like one but all the Beseler ones I've seen were just straight tongues and not curvey like that. BTW, it looks too large for the 23, if it is a Beseler, it's probably for the large format one.

Maybe the guy on the Antique Road show knows what it is :smile:

13. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seems odd, given how long it's been since the film or cameras were made, but 101 and 106 films are close to that size. The 101 is 3 1/4" square, which would be closer to correct (76 mm is almost exactly three inches); 106 was a cartridge format and was 3 1/2" square.

Alternately, might it be for printing the negatives from Type 85 Polaroid? I dont' know precisely, but ISTM that film is just under 3 inches square...