strange vignetting on Mamiya RZ67

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by fralexis, Aug 18, 2011.

1. fralexis

fralexis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I shoot a Mamiya RZ67, just about the perfect camera for me, but today I had a strange experience. I was shooting in the city and came home to develop the roll. On the last three frames each negative had a perfect circle black (clear on the negative) vignette. I had changed lens at that point. I can't figure out why this would happen....probably something VERY basic I haven't thought of.

2. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Do you have the wrong hood on the lens?

3. Dr.Pain-MD

Dr.Pain-MD Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you using filters?

4. fralexis

fralexis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ooops. I did put a lens hood on. It is a generic rubber hood and the lens is a 50mm...pretty wide. I'll bet that is it! I'll try again and see if that is the problem Thanks!

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah somtimes those hoods can cause trouble on film, but if you use B&W and develop yourself it is no problem.

Jeff

6. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's a dedicated square hood for the 50 and 65mm RZ lenses. Easy to find. I'd recommend finding one on Ebay. Sounds like it was the hood. 50 = 24mm equivalent.

7. Dr.Pain-MD

Dr.Pain-MD Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't see how developing your own film would cure the problem. If it's a hood on a wideangle that vignettes, it'll happen regardless of who develops the film. Maybe I'm not understanding you though. :confused:

8. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The vignetting can be cropped off the print. It doesn't solve the problem, just band aids it. Proper cure is proper hood.

9. ContaxRTSFundus

ContaxRTSFundus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As EdSawyer has stated, your problem was using a round hood instead of a square one. Just one word of caution in buying the second hand Mamiya square hood made for the 50/65 lenses - try to ensure that the rubber has not sagged too much - so many of these hoods suffer from serious bowing, such that the straight edges of the square bow inwards towards the glass. If you use a deep filter, it can be enough on the 50mm lens to cause some minor vignetting. I'm sure there's a technique for curing this tendency in these hoods but I've not been able to find one thats reasonably permanent.