Strange "worms" in TMY/HC110

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by s800, May 20, 2009.

1. s800

s800 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Only had one roll turn out this way, and I've been doing this for awhile. Highlights/shadows/everything has this strange, repeating pattern.

300% view:

[​IMG]

Thanks for any input. It's not grain. :smile:

2. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To me, that is reticulation I believe.... Did you change to a cooler stop, fixer, or water rinse after development

3. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm with Andrew and would guess reticulation from a rapid temp change.

4. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, another vote for reticulation. I've seen it happen, and I also saw a lot of it in school where I had a prof who did that deliberately as part of his work. Hard to do with modern films, but it still is possible.

5. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting, the only times I've had reticulation was with HC110, never with any other developer. I wonder if there's anything in the formula that would promote this occurrence.

6. Ken N

Ken N Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd get this with HP5 in DD-X on occasion, but never with any other film in DD-X.

7. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I have not had reticulation in over two years of use with HC110. Course I keep my temps dead on, 68F.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
  8. s800

s800 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Interesting.. thanks for the input. I'm gonna chalk it up to not being careful enough with temperature then.

9. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Henceforth, when this happens tell all and sundry you did it on purpose; that this is photographic art with a capital "A:" and that you be a photographic artiste!!:wink:

10. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had an interesting chat with a Kodak engineer recently who pretty much stated that the gelatin used in T-max films was much harder than normal films so you could process them in any temp with no fear of reticulation and they were less temperature sensitive.
    That said another vote for reticulation...

11. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :DYou can use it for fishing!:D

Jeff

12. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That sure describes my old prof, hoo boy!

13. Carter john

Carter john Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I vote reticulation too, but I would be surprised if the Kodak engineer said you could change the temperture greatly between the various fluids. I know that John Sexton develops at 75 degrees F; I'm not sure about TMY2. But he does it because he has trouble in the Summer getting his water temperature down to 68 degrees F.

14. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I had it with Tri-X many years back: Kodak asked me to send the bulk-rol back for a free replacement.
    I kept it just for certain shots.

Peter

15. kodachrome64

kodachrome64 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8300: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.266 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

That in itself won't hurt TMY because TMY/TMAX Dev is recommended by Kodak at 75 degrees IIRC...

16. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    At Rhode Island School of Design, perhaps? I swear, the photographic dinosaur in me makes me cringe at the ARTEESTES. A lot of it, methinks in my jaundiced O.F. view, is just being able to keep a straight face when slinging aft-end-male-bovine-detritus.
    In a slightly different context, I recall an episode in college. I had spent time in the college darkroom printing some informal portraits of a good-looking female college friend.
    I had a botched print which I had thrown in the trash bin. It continued to develop, fogged itself, and did a partial "solarization." For a reason I do not remember, I fixed it, washed it, dried it, and took it with me. Later, when showing the prints to my friend, she fell in love with the ruined print, had it matted and framed, and made me into a real artiste to everyone who saw the print. Go figure.

17. wogster

wogster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It might if your developer is 75℉ and your stop is 55℉

18. Carter john

Carter john Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I guess I blew it from reading kodachrome64's post. I should have just said what you; wogster, said.

19. s800

s800 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'll print one of these and see what it looks like through the enlarger. Maybe it is art. ;-)

20. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like poetic justice of some sort!

This professor was from well before my time at RISD. He was somewhat well known for the reticulated look in the 70's. I won't embarrass him any further, his work does a pretty good job at that already.

21. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format

This professor was from well before my time at RISD. He was somewhat well known for the reticulated look in the 70's. I won't embarrass him any further, his work does a pretty good job at that already.
    Think of the trouble he might have saved had he just invested about ten bucks in a set of the Paterson doohickeys available about that time. A photo arteeste printed through them to get such effects. Not random, of course, but there they were all over the .

22. pgomena

pgomena Member

Definitely reticulation. I've ended up with the same "look" with Tri-X in PMK if my temperatures vary too much. Not a look I was trying to achieve at the time.

Peter Gomena