Strap for a Leica IIIF

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by Steve Karr, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Steve Karr

Steve Karr Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi everyone,
    I'd love a period correct strap for a IIIf. I have a Luigi one for my M6 but it was a million $$!

Just looking for a leather strap from the period that is safe and useable.

Thanks~
    Steve

Steve@SteveKarrShoots.com

2. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I wouldn't use any 50+-year-old strap for a classic camera. The leather is simply too old to be trusted.

You'll be better off with a Domke Gripper or another strap that won't snap.

There are some new leather straps out there, but I think they're custom made and expensive, as you know.

I've sometimes thought that you could buy and adapt a new leather belt, but I haven't tried doing that.

3. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've always heard lots of good things about gordy's straps (http://www.electricedge.com/gordy_s_straps/). I finally got around to ordering one late last week for my rather heavy Mamiya. His prices are really good, especially considering the included shipping with them. Unfortunately mine hasn't arrived yet, but I'm pretty sure there's a few people on here with them that are more than pleased with them.

4. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I only use Gordy's leather straps. For a IIIf I'd buy a Mr. Zhou black leather half case (50$) for better grip and looks and a neck or wrist strap from Gordy.

5. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use Gordy's straps also. They're a little stiff when you first get them but they soften up in no time.

6. monochromeimages

monochromeimages Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    But a correct period strap is much nicer. I found one for my IIf on ebay a while ago. Forget what I paid but it wasn't a lot, £15 or so. It's in fine condition and will last many, many more years. Keep looking - you will find one. Good luck.

7. silveror0

silveror0 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Steve, I have a strap for my M3 (1958) that is in excellent condition and certainly trustworthy. I had several but this one was barely used. If interested, pm me with your email address and I can send a pic.

8. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the look & feel of the original strap but use a nylon woven strap from an AE1 that has the look & flexibility of the original but certainly not the feel. I took the ugly pad off it though.