Strap Lug for Kiev 88

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by fotobug8, Jul 31, 2011.

1. fotobug8

fotobug8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hello-

My Kiev-88 has wanted to go on a walk with me for some time now...I tried to order a strap for it on ebay (from the KIEV company), and although the post promised it would fit all, the strap didn't fit my camera's strap lugs. The connectors on the strap were too small. When I emailed the company, their response was "Oh, you must have that one model it doesn't work with..." and that was all...

So to all of you smarties out there, has this occurred to any of you? When I looked on bhphoto.com there was connector A or connector B on the medium format straps, but I couldn't find any info on what size has a bigger connector... which I'm assuming I need...

Any info on camera straps on my mf friend would be much appreciated!

2. Buje

Buje Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check Arax Foto in Ukraine.

http://www.araxfoto.com/accessories/camera-strap/

I have ordered and received accessories from them for my Salyut-C. No problems and it takes about 10 days to receive the shipment (well-packed and in good condition).

Paul

3. zabai

zabai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi there,

I've got the same problem as fotobug8 had, I'm looking for a fitting strap for my Salyut-S. As Paul suggested, I ordered one from Arax, but although they stated that it should fit, it doesn't: the hole in the connectors is just to small.

Anyone one any ideas where I could get a fitting strap or just the connectors?

Any help would be very welcome

Alfred

4. Ranssu

Ranssu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps you could try Mamiya 645 connectors. Mine fit at least my Kiev 60 lugs.

5. Dan Quan

Dan Quan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the Optech Super Pro strap with lug B connectors on my P67 and it seems to work well; in fact I've bought additional B connectors for my P67 FujiRoid body.

As I understand the chart lug A shout fit Kiev, but maybe I misunderstood your OP.

edit:
    This photo shows the B connector has a larger opening...

SuperProAB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  6. shermank

shermank Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    [​IMG]

Is this what you are looking for? I custom made leather strap for Hasselblad. I believe Kiev 88 uses the same lug.

Sherman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. zabai

zabai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all for your suggestions. The problem with the strap I have is Not the width of the narrower part of the opening of the connectors (as shown on the Photo of the optech connectors) but the maximum width of the opening. The lugs on my salyut are apparently larger, 6.5 mm, than those on the other kiev's. These openings seem quite large on the optech connectors, but i'd like to make sure before ordering them. Does anyone have these measurements for me?

8. Dan Quan

Dan Quan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get ~ 8.16mm

edit: I used a digital caliper.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
  9. zabai

zabai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your troubles Dan, I ordered the Op/tech strap with A connectors and they fit perfectly.

10. BobMarvin11225

BobMarvin11225 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You can easily enlarge the holes on the strap fittings with a small rat tail file

11. Dan Quan

Dan Quan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No trouble at all. I have received SOO much help and benefit of others knowledge and experience here on APUG I am actually grateful for the opportunity to pass it on. I am very glad it worked out for you.

12. postylem

postylem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have the same problem as OP. I wish I'd found this thread before ordering my strap (from ARAX), but it did say that it would fit all models... Apparently not this one. The lugs on the camera are ~6.8mm, which is too big to fit through the ~6.0mm holes on the clips on the strap. I emailed ARAX, and got a response from Mr Gevorg Vartanian himself:
    Here is his attachment: [​IMG], and here's what I bought, that doesn't fit: [​IMG]. Indeed the holes are smaller.

My Kiev body is from 1987, so it's not all that ancient. I wonder why it has the old-style lugs. Anyway, did you find a solution, fotobug88? I am going to try filing the holes a little bigger, and if that fails perhaps getting one of the OP/TECH straps zabai mentioned.

Attached Files:

13. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just measured my Kiev88, the lugs are 6.0mm wide, the narrow part is 3.0mm wide. But I think mine's a newer body (serial 0868, so is that 2008? Or had they changed their numbering system by then?)

FWIW, I don't have a lugged- strap on mine, I've got a Kirk SS1 and arca-plates on all of my cameras and tripods. The camera hangs upside-down, but it's so much more comfortable than those thin leather straps that cut into your shoulders...