Streaks on negative edges

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by adestefan, Apr 25, 2011.

1. adestefan

adestefan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I developed my second roll this weekend and noticed that I had streak across the top and bottom of the negative. The film was Tri-X 400 developed in 1+50 Rodinal for 13 minutes. I did 1 minute of agitation followed by 10 seconds every minute. It looks like the streak are only on the complete edges. From doing some searches it seems like issue could be during agitations or maybe the way it was loaded onto the tank spool.

Ignore the terrible quality of the scan. This was a crop from doing a quick pass on an multi-purpose printer and the spotting is from the scanner. I don't see spot on the negative itself. I just wanted to get a good example of what I was seeing on the film edges.

Attached Files:

• IMG.jpg
      IMG.jpg
      File size:
      45.6 KB
      Views:
  2. J Rollinger

J Rollinger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To me it looks like a lack of chemicals reaching the ends because of the films contact with the reels. I wouldn't worry about it, its not on the frame.

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The streaks are probably just small areas where the reels themselves are blocking access of the chemistry to the edge of the film. The film is probably sticking a bit to those reels. It isn't of particular concern, but if it bothers you you can solve the problem with these negatives by re-fixing them. In future, you can avoid this by:

1) cleaning the reels thoroughly with toothbrush etc.; and
    2) making sure that the film is loose on the reels after you load it.

4. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You mean the stripe right through "KODAK 400TX" ? That's the ball bearing in your Paterson tank scraping across the emulsion, the stress on the emulsion activates it as if it were exposed to light. Looks like you had a bit of a jam while loading the reel but no harm done.

5. adestefan

adestefan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It was a stainless reel. When I loaded the reel on Saturday it was pretty hot and humid here. I could feel the film getting tacky from the humidity. I'm sure that contributed to sticking to the reel.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011