Street Shooting Your Children

Discussion in 'Journalism and Documentary' started by BrianPhotog, Sep 12, 2008.

1. BrianPhotog

BrianPhotog Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    [​IMG]

I've just finished an article on how to apply some of the principle techniques of street photography to create unique photos of your children and why I think photos like this are valuble.

The article is published here.

Comments are always welcome and appreciated. :smile:

2. xxloverxx

xxloverxx Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Very good article, well worth the read; I agree with everything that's been said there. Thanks!

3. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very interesting indeed; I found myself wishing it were longer, maybe with some more discussion of how these principles played out in the images accompanying the article. (Also, I couldn't, um, *see* the images accompanying the article; it looks as though the links to them are broken somehow.)

The "fake cuteness" photos are a pet peeve for me, too---for one thing, it conditions kids to stop what they're doing and force a smile when a camera points at them, which generally is the exact opposite of what I wanted!

Thanks for posting it.

-NT

4. BrianPhotog

BrianPhotog Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks so much for the kind critique. Yeah, that "fake cuteness" is a big thing in Taipei where I live most of the time and it annoys the heck out of me. 20 years from now the only thing that can be said about the photo would be "well, I was a cute baby"...but it does nothing to reveal personality.

BTW, I fixed the images on my blog (where I also published the same article) so if you want to see the article without broken photos, you can here: http://www.photojazz.ws/2008/09/street-shooting-your-kids :tongue:

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    nice article -
    ( i wish i could see the images ... )
    i agree too, just like with adults,
    people acting like themselves make the best photographs!

john

6. BrianPhotog

BrianPhotog Member

Shooter:
    35mm

For the complete article (with fixed photos) take a look at my blog.

7. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good job, well done! You have several classic photographs there, very nicely illustrating the article.

8. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Excellant article, thanks for the info!

Jeff

9. BrianPhotog

BrianPhotog Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you! I'm glad you went to the right article with the photos :D

10. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nice article. I look at images like the child in the barber chair (which I really love) and think of it as improvisational portraiture. Then, I looked at the subheading of your blog and I imagine you agree with me!

I'd consider changing the title if possible, though. I live near Chicago and street shooting your children has a bit of a sinister sound to it.

11. BrianPhotog

BrianPhotog Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you! That's Aidan, the eldest of my twin boys and that's my second favorite photo of him thus far... and one I can't wait to bring out the first time he brings a girlfriend over.

As for the title, "street shooting" is an extremely common euphamism for street photography, the same way "snapshooting", a hunting term, is commonly associated with casual photography or the phrase "take a shot" more often means snap a photo then shoot an actual bullet. I think it should be okay... the article is actually a year old (look at the orig. post date) and there have been no complaints during that time.