Stripped Tripod Socket Help

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by spleenrippa, Sep 3, 2011.

1. spleenrippa

spleenrippa Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi Guys,
    I went to mount my Newton Vue/Brand 17 (4x5) to my tripod the other day and the ancient (and already slightly mangled) tripod socket stripped right out. I chased the threads (1/4 20) but they were too far gone for it to help :sad:

The camera is an all metal affair, so I'm thinking I could just JB Weld (or epoxy) a spare quick release plate right to it.
    Any thoughts or advice?

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could it be re-tapped to the 3/8"-16tpi BSW which is common in Europe for larger cameras. If so you can get a quick release to fit, or adaptors are very cheap and easily availabe if you can only use 1/4" mount.

Ian

3. spleenrippa

spleenrippa Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yeah, I suppose it could be drilled a few times to enlarge the hole and then tapped for 3/8... I'm not very handy, though- was hoping to avoid that avenue

4. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm not familiar with your camera but I have seen 4x5's that have a removable (with a spanner wrench) tripod sockets. Check to see if yours has two slots. If so you may be able to remove it and replace it preferably with a 3/8 or another 1/4.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

5. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Helicoil inserts. Automotive stores selll a variety of inserts that are meant just for this application. Helicoil is one brand. It comes with a drill bit and the threading tool an easy DIY project.

If you have a machine shop in your area, they can do the work for you at a reasonable cost if you can't do it yourself.

Gluing the quick release plate to the bottom of your camera is anopther posability but you are taking a chance of it letting go one day when you least expect it. I'd screw the quick release plate on using small self taping screws so I'd be sure it;s there to stay.

6. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doggonit. Paul stole the Parts Guy's suggestion. Just make sure you get the short inserts if you go with the helicoil idea (if all metal a good idea). You might have to cut and file down the insert a bit once installed as it will probably still be a bit too long and might interfere with a flush mount on your tripod.

7. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it were me, I'd use a Timsert or keylocking insert instead of a helicoil, which work best in blind holes. EZ-Lok is one brand name that is readily available. I use Timserts anytime there are load bearing threads in aluminum. Any better automotive machine shop will have them in stock and often for not very much money you can get them to redrill, tap and install one for you.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ian's suggestion seems to be the best to me. Many old cameras have a 3/8" BSW thread in the body with an insert reducing it to 1/4" BSW. These inserts can be bought from camera stores or taken from an old camera.

If you're going to use an insert though, get one for photographic equipment use with Whitworth threads rather than a general use one with UNC threads

Steve.

9. spleenrippa

spleenrippa Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hmm, many things to ponder- thanks all.
    After taking another look, it does appear as though the 1/4" hole is an insert- there is also a screw in the top of the hole, right underneath the bellows. I will have to play around a bit and see what I can come up with.... Not like I can really make the camera any more useless than it is right now :wink:

10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If it looks like the image which I have hopefully attached and has a couple of slots for a screwdriver to fit, then it is very likely an insert and you just need to get another one. I assume that you are in the US, in which case someone near you probably has one they could send you. I am in the UK. If you are closer to me, I could send you one.

Steve.

Attached Files:

11. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My Newton New-Vue VC3 has a steel thread insert in otherwise aluminum base. If that got messed up, there is room for a nut or wing-nut if I had to improvise. Any chance you could do the same?

12. DarkroomDan

DarkroomDan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow -- I haven't heard of Brand 17 in years. I have one that I bought from a guy in the late '70s. As I recall, I paid $40 for the camera, lens, a few holders, and most of a box of film. It was my introduction to large format. I still have the thing though I haven't used it since about '82. After seeing your post I dug mine out to look at it. The shutter still seems to fire at all speeds but the bellows is pretty much petrified.

I don't really have anything to add to the repair suggestions already offered. I just wanted to thank you for a blast from the past.

Dan

13. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey if that picture is what you have then all you need to do is get another 3/8 to 1/4" insert.

In fact I like the idea of taping a 3/8th thread then using one of those inserts so it can be more versatile. Good call on that one.

14. spleenrippa

spleenrippa Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Ah, I see... Unfortunately, mine appears nothing like that :pouty:
    I've taken a proper look now, and it appears as though someone didn't like the original 3/8 hole, and instead of using a proper insert, used a (looks like brass) helicoil to reduce the size to 1/4.... If you shine a light in, you can see the that threads end halfway up the original tripod socket.
    At this point, I think I will have to epoxy on the quick release plate in order to use the camera without major surgery.
    Anyone have a spare Brand 17 or field cam they wanna sell me? :D

15. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Replace the insert? If it is a helicoil or other brand replacement, they have a removal tool, an auto shop can do it for ya? What can they charge... $10?

16. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You should be able to drill out the insert quite easily if it is brass. Start with a drill just slightly larger than the hole and increase in diameter - but don't go bigger than 1/4!"

Another method would be to superglue a 1/4" bolt into the thread then unscrew it from the 3/8" thread.

Steve.