Stripping Old Leather Covering

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by wfwhitaker, Apr 22, 2007.

1. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought this had been covered somewhere, but I can't find anything specific after searching. I have an old Conley 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 self-casing camera which, except for needing a new bellows is sound. It's leather covered and the old leather is crumbling off. Since I want to use the camera, I wouldn't mind just leaving the old leather covering on it. But it's crumbly and leaves behind a trail of dust and old leather bits everytime the camera is picked up. What can I use to remove that old leather covering without destroying the wood below? What sort of adhesives were used a hundred years ago? Has anyone tried Citrus-Strip paint stripper?

The wood appears to be mahogany. While I don't want to get into a full-blown restoration, I would like to get the camera cleaned up, put a new bellows on it and go take photographs with it.

Thanks in advance,
    Will

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear Will,

Rabbit glue (a relatively low-tack water-soluble collagen/gelatine glue) was a common way of sticking leather on, I am told. But I don't know how good the information is and the person who told me is dead...

Cheers,

R.

3. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wabbit gwoo, eh? That would expwain why it's so wascally!

Looking at the camera again, it appears that some careful and diligent work with a scraper (cabinet scraper or such) should work. Then perhaps lightly wipe the wood with acetone to get wid of the wabbit wesidue.

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Vater might vork better; I'd be supwised if wabblit was sowuble in acetone. Add a little vashing up liqvid.

But this is only hearsay...

Cheers,

R. (or perhaps W)

5. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rabbit-skin glue is not soluable in acetone. It is, as Roger has suggested, water soluable. Chip and scrape away most of it and use a damp cloth, repeatedly wiping with a fresh surface. The final scrape can be done with a piece of glass, freshly cut and snapped (old woodworkers trick) or, less risky, the cabinet scraper you mention. There are shaped scrapers available for tight places.

6. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or perhaps, haresay.

7. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Whitey. I'll stay away from the acetone. Good to know that water is the best wabbit wemover.

8. wclavey

wclavey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just stripped the crumbling leather off of a Crown Graphic and I can attest to the "scrape off what you can then use warm water" approach... it worked like a charm. It took, in total, about 45 minutes to do the whole thing, start to finish.

scwewy wabbit...

9. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A bit of heat would help as well, a hair dryer would probably do the trick, or else a hot air gun if you need more serious heat.

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Not sure about that; I'd back the damp cloth/broken glass approach above heat, and I'd be extremely hesitant about using a hot air gun. Wabbit glue dries VERY fast.

Cheers,

R.

11. JG Motamedi

JG Motamedi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Maybe a heat-gun?

12. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    With the leather on a Crown you use steam from a kettle. Don't scrape it off. The glue they used is horse hide glue.

13. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hide glues, whether from wabbits or other critters is prepared, in part, by melting it, and it's applied hot. Applying heat will reverse the process. The trick is how much heat to apply, which would be the minimum needed to soften the glue. Moisture will help too, but too much of either would be a bad thing, moisture probably being the worst of the two, for the wood anyway.
    Here's a link for modern hide glue,
    http://www.cheyennesales.com/catalog/behhide.htm