Stuck Shutter

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by tribalista000, May 29, 2010.

1. tribalista000

tribalista000 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi! I'm caught in a delimma of sorts...

I own a 2nd hand Olympus Om1, my very first camera actually and for some reason the shutter is stuck. I just wound the film advance lever as normal and for some reason the shutter is already stuck. The film advance lever would a quarter of the way or so only. The mirror has not locked up either, I can freely move it up and down using the mirror lock up on the side. I dont know if I aggravated the problem by turning the self-timer, however it would only go for around 8 seconds from the 12 second position before it stops...

Any help or advice would be really appreciated

2. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try just flicking the winding lever with your thumb, I think you could have "beaten"the winding mechanism and got it out of sequence.

3. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What benjiboy said. And also try pounding the bottom of the camera hard with the heal of the hand whilst diddling gently with the film advance lever. Sometimes turning the drive sprockets whilst diddling the film advance also works.

4. John Hermanson

John Hermanson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wind the self timer up again, push the little tab to lock it. Then try to wind and fire the shutter. John

5. mindcircus

mindcircus Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you have small screwdrivers try to remove the bottom plate. I've saved 3 cameras this way. Small garbage, sand, dust and all kind of things you can imagine can go between gears.

Anyway, just give it a try, you don't have to lose anything

6. tribalista000

tribalista000 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thanks for the reply guys! ill try it later, i seem to recall that it did happen once but it fixed for some reason, anyways ill do some of the things you guys suggested, last resort would be to send it to the capital to get fixed :blink:

7. John Hermanson

John Hermanson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Could be shutter is wound but mirror is not cocked. It's the mirror going up that actually fires the shutter. John

8. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recommend you send it to John Hermanson and have it fixed right proper.