Studying for Quiz on Englarger

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Tsunade, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Tsunade

Tsunade Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just started in an exploring photography class at my high school and I kind of bombed a quiz on the enlarger. Is there anywhere I can find a diagram of an enlarger?

To be specific, the enlarger that my teacher based it off of has 23CII on the filter hatch.

2. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi: Go online to beselerphoto.com. There are photos there to help you.

OK what questions did you get wrong and when's your redo? Anything we can do to help - apart from bribing the teacher that is:D

Bob

3. Tsunade

Tsunade Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    She doesn't give the quizes back D:

And thank you sir, I will do that. I just looked at that site you gave me, it didn't help much...

Is there another one?

4. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    just what is it you need to know?

and what is a filter hatch?

Perhaps you mean filter drawer, if so, if is located above the condensor and below the light source.

5. Tsunade

Tsunade Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The parts of the enlarger.

Then I guess all I know is that it says 23CII SOMEWHERE on the thing. If I could I would scan the diagram but my computer's scanner isn't working.

6. highpeak

highpeak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Are you sure it's "diagram", not "diaphragm"?
    Alex W.

7. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So you have a digram of the enlarger and you need to name the parts for our test - right?

8. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    If you need a pdf of the manual, email with your email address and I'll email it to you (1.6mb file).

Jon

9. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    didn't the instructor go over this with you and perhaps give out some hand outs?

If not, perhaps they are trying to find out the level of understanding of each student which will enable them to approach the subject matter in a more productive manner.

10. Tsunade

Tsunade Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes

And yes she did give us a handout, but when we cleaned out my family's car to go on vacation-it kind of disappeared :sad:

11. sun of sand

sun of sand Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The teacher is just being an ass wasting time
    I guess the more crap you get right on a test the better it looks for the school
    How concrete can the statement "takes good photos" be on your final?

Tell your teacher to screw off with the enlarger diagrams and just teach you kids how to use em ..it takes about 2 days to become familiar with the procedure, if that. Show up with some negatives and paper in hand and ask where the f you make prints at. Nothing else concerning the enlarger really matters in a photography course esp a beginner one

Really
    Perhaps a camera diagram
    but one for the enlarger?
    Naw, no thanks.

12. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    you are making some strong statements with out knowing anything about the class, the goals , or basically anything about the instructor.

Frankly, it is important for students to understand the set up and how to use the enlarger if they are to become independed on their own and not wasting their time waiting for someone to come resure them if they have an issue with the equipment.

13. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I remember we had to learn the parts of the enlarger before we were allowed to actually touch it. It showed we at least had a vague idea on how to operate it so we respected it too. Also helps to know the names of the parts in case anything is broken when you come to it so you can rat out the previous group of people in the darkroom :D

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. rwyoung

rwyoung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    sun of sand - back off dude. You are talking out of the wrong side on this one. Ann is right, they (the students) should have a reasonable idea of the names and functions of the various parts of the enlarger. For that matter, all the equipment they are expected to use. But they don't need to learn how to field strip, realign or rebuild the equipment. That can wait for Darkroom II next semester.

By having a reasonable level of familiarity with the equipment, they can ask informed questions. Or at the very least, derive some benefit from the RTFM exercise when it comes time for them to work on their own.

And if I was the instructor, somebody storming up and asking "where the f you make prints at" would be directed first to the soap dish to wash out their mouth, second to a dictionary so they could expand their vocabulary beyond about 13 words, third to the English department to learn that you don't end a sentence with a preposition, and fourth to the woodshed to learn some manners. If there was still class time left, maybe they would get some time at an enlarger station.

16. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    From the bottom up-

Baseboard- the piece of wood, or whatever platform the enlarger sits on.

Easel- the thing that sits on the baseboard that holds the paper.

Column- The tube or rail that sticks up out of the baseboard, that holds the enlarger head, and allows it to move up and down.

Enlarger head- the assembly that moves up and down on the column. Moving the head up and down changes the size of the projected image.

From the bottom up the enlarger head is composed of-

The lens- collects and projects the image and controls the amount of light with an aperture, or iris.

Lens board- mounts the lens, and allows changing if the lens for different formats
    (50mm for 35, 90mm for 120), some enlargers don't have lensboards, and use a screw mount. I think the 23c has boards.

Focus knob- right side- this knob moves the lens up and down on the focus rails for focusing.

Focusing bellows- the lower bellows that allows the lens and board to move up and down on the focus rails when the focus knob is turned.

Negative slot- the slot where the negative carrier is placed located between the upper bellows and the focusing bellows. there may be a lever that opens and closes this IDK.

Negative carrier- the plate that hold the negative.

Upper bellows- The bellows above the negative carrier, allows the negative position to be adjusted according to the film format. the 23c does both 35 and 2 1/4 (120) as I recall.

Condenser housing- holds the condensers.

Condensers- located in the condenser housing, the lenses that condense and focus the light through the negative.

Filter slot- slot in the lamphouse for contrast or color filters

Lamp housing- Holds the enlarger lamp.

Lamp- Special enlarger lightbulb.

What did I leave out? I'm not familiar with the 23c.

Do I get a grade?:D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2008
  17. rwyoung

rwyoung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about nicknames for enlargers...

"Pumpkin on a stick" for those that are single column types and built like an inverted pendulum. And vibrate like one too.

18. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening,

Ann and Rwyoung are exactly correct. Unless the demeanor and attitudes of some high school students have changed markedly for the better since I retired a few years ago, too many of them already exhibit plenty of vulgar and disrespectful behavior. They need no additional malign advice or encouragement in this area from sun of sand or anyone else.

Konical

19. mark

mark Member

Go out and ask for another diagram. If the teacher will not give it to you, go ask a classmate. Then fill it out according to J's description

I have dealt with people who took Sun of Sand's attitude, as a college darkroom assistant, and they annoyed the hell out of me. They usually took that attitude with everything and screwed things up then blamed everyone else. Get to know your equipment, it will help in the long run.

20. cao

cao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Trouble is that I can see both sides here. While I don't think taking an aggressively adversarial stance with the teacher can come to any good, I also think this is precisely the sort of test that is given simply because it's easy to construct and easy to grade; it does little to demonstrate understanding. It would be far better to ask, not what X is called, but what X does.

I don't advocate abusing a teacher, but I understand Sun of Sand's anger. Uninspired pedagogy is a pain and a bore.

Before responding, please note that I come from a teaching family, and have myself taught. I have given rote tests, but am not entirely proud of that.

21. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OK - Let's try this.

Starting at the bottom you have the baseboard on this you usually place the enlarging easel which holds the photographic paper. Attached to the baseboard is the column (The vertical pole.)

Attached to the column is the enlarger head. The enlarger head comprises the lamp housing, (the piece where the enlarger bulb goes) the negative stage which is a gap which holds the negative carrier The negative carrier is the metal piece into which you place the negative for printing. This is below the lamp housing. Below the negative stage is the lens stage. The lens stage is the plate that holds the enlarging lens. Usually the lens stage is attached to the head with bellows. There will be two adjusting knobs on the enlarger head - focus adjustment control, (so you can move the lens closer to and farther away from the negative in order to focus the image on the enlarging paper; and the height adjustment control, which enables you to move the enlarger head up and down the column to change the size of your enlargement. The only other thing I can think of is the timer which turns the enlarger lamp on and off for the preset time. Oh, and sometimes, inside the lamp housing you may have large, convex pieces of glass, (kind of like big lenses) these are called condensers.

Hope this helps. Tell your teacher I think you deserve an "A" just based on your effort. (You can tell the teacher I deserve an A too!:tongue:)

Good luck - and let us know how you get on.

Bob

22. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry - just noticed that I duplicated Jason's post. It's early Sunday morning!!!

Sorry again.

Bob

23. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have taught College, University, and Grad School (not photography -Labour Relations Law). I have met a few students like the writer in this quote who are convinced that they know everything and just how it should be taught. If they graduate (which is rare) they are invariably ineffective in industry. If they're lucky, they grow up before they graduate and change their attitude.

To the OP -take the advice of several of the posters here and ask for another info sheet from your Prof or get one from a classmate. If you already know the stuff, you'll get good marks on the test. While undoubtedly there are Profs that just give tests to generate some marks, Profs design tests to ensure that the knowledge of the student is adequate before advancing to the next topic.
    When the Prof says "make sure your condensers are adjusted for 6X6 format and the filter drawer is empty when you focus", and you think you know better, or just don't know what to do, you are going to wind up with fuzzy vignetted prints with no idea why your prints look bad.

So -it's your choice. I wish you well.

24. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think as a practitioner, it's easy to assume that basic knowledge is unimportant because you have had that knowledge for so long that it's just "background noise" to you. For a teacher, however, that the students have that basic knowledge is essential. Without it, the teacher would spend more time describing "that knob thingy to the right of the concertina bit that moves the lens up and down." There wouldn't be a lot of time left for teaching real photography!

I do a lot of private lessons and I don't know how many times I had high school students tell me that the teacher's an ass. Teacher gives an assignment to demonstrate clarity and depth of field; student submits a fuzzy print; teacher gives an "F"; student says "but its art - I like it better that way - it's cool. Teacher's an ass!"

My response has always been that you did, indeed fail in the assignment. The purpose of the assignment was to demonstrate that you understand the concept of depth of field and to show that you can produce a sharp detailed print. That is not the same as deciding that soft focus better suits a particular subject. If you can't produce a sharp image when you need to - you can't produce a fuzzy one when you want to.

Aah yes - I was once rebellious, then life and taxes beat me down!!!:D:D

25. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format

I just want to know if we passed....

26. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "I just want to know if we passed....

www.jasonbrunner.com

Developing video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P9bNcBE_Hc"

If we don't I'm calling for a recount! The kid has to get an A given the effort he/she went to. Put the school age me to shame!!