Stumbled on this tribute to Galen Rowell

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by mark, Nov 2, 2006.

1. mark

mark Member

2. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I had the opportunity to attend one of his presentations and meet him in NJ. He made a very good presentation. He was a fine photographer and had a very high opinion of himself and his photography. Maybe the opinion he had was rightfully correct. I also had the opportunity to attend lecturers with and meet his peers from Outdoor Photographer, George Lepp and Dewitt Jones. Additionally, I had the opportunity to take a workshop with Dewitt, who was a close friend of Galen's at Point Reyes National Seashore in 1991 (Workshop called Seeing Deeply). I had the opportunity to attend a presentation and meet Frans Lanting.

Considering all the chances that Galen took during his life in mountain climbing and taking photos all over the world in such places as Tibet and Alaska, it is very ironic that he and his wife Barbara would die so close to home in as I remember a small plane crash in California not that far from his home.

With his teaching (and writing), photographic images, zeal for life, Galen will be missed.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2006
  3. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rich,

as I recall Galen Rowell died in a small plane crash on the way to his home in the eastern Sierra. They had moved from Berkeley a few years before. His wife was a pilot but I don't recall if she was piloting this plane.

I met Galen a couple of times. One of his stories was that he was going to Berkeley to be a physicist when he moved out into photograpy. Given the way he approached problems, I think Galen would have made a good physicist.

Matt

4. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Matt,

I remember that Barbara was a pilot, but I don't remember if she was the pilot when the plane crashed.

Rich

5. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I knew Galen pretty well, he spent quite a few of his trips up here in NW Montana, not some of his best published works, other than twin falls, Barbara was the pilot when the plane went down..I get very mixed when I see these types of articles published, Galen was an adventure thrill seeking adrenaline junky and would fully admit it around a table in Mooses pizza joint, he did what he did for the high...

He is missed, but it is sad, that many have not really understood and got to know him and what he really loved, yes he had a very high opinion of himself and what he did, most of us do!, but how many of us, are willing to hang off the side of a mountain about 10 thousand feet above the floor of the canyon to capture a sunrise?

Galen was a great guy, full of life and full of spirit, he is missed in the groups I run with..

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2006
  6. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The published reports at the time indicate she wasn't.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/08/0814_020814_rowell1.html

7. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robert,

Published reports and actually fact, often times differ..

Dave

8. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Kind of what I suspected after reading her book "Flying South".....

9. Kirk Keyes

Kirk Keyes Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  10. Kirk Keyes

Kirk Keyes Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    From the above report:

"According to the FAA, the pilot's possession of a commercial pilot certificate was only one of several requirements that he needed in order to transport passengers for hire. The pilot had indicated to FAA personnel his intent to obtain the requisite air carrier (air taxi) operating certificate, which would have provided the requisite authorization pursuant to 14 CFR Part 135. However, the authorization had not been granted.

"Personnel at the passengers' Bishop-based business office indicated to the Safety Board investigator that the passengers desired to reimburse the pilot for the cost of their transportation. However, the pilot pointed out that he "did not have enough time in the aircraft type to act formally as a charter pilot." It was therefore agreed that "in exchange for the favor of the flight" the pilot would receive a photograph from the passengers, who were professional photographers.

"The FAA's Western Pacific regional counsel reported to the Safety Board investigator that this type of compensation in lieu of holding the requisite air carrier certificate is not permissible under its existing regulations. The pilot did not appear to have been sharing expenses."

11. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is interesting to see these reports, I have read the NTSB report before, way back not to long after the accident occurred and the investigation was concluded....

Anyway, still a very sore spot in my heart....and the official investigative report is the diffinitave "final word" on the accident. He is sorely missed...

Dave

12. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes, I talked to Dewitt Jones several months after the fact, and he too was quite shaken up by the accident.

13. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Robert,

Knowing Dewitt as I do (I have not spoken with him in some years), I am sure that he was quite shaken with the deaths of Galen and Barbara. He and Galen had been close friends for quite a number of years.

Rich

14. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
  15. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I guess he lives on Moloka'i full time these days. I've only met him once, and guess that he has gone totally digital now.