Stupid Mamiya RB67 question

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ambaker, Nov 4, 2012.

1. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A friend has a very nice RB 67 SD with a nice collection of lenses, at an attractive price. However, it appears that all three backs are 220 backs. I don't believe they are switchable between 220 and 120, are they? On my 645, the insert is one or the other.

He has only ever used 220 film, so doesn't remember. I tend toward B&W, so I would really want to shoot 120.

Anyone have first hand knowledge on this? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Motorized backs are switchable but regular backs aren't switchable. On RB, back itself is really just a shell and the insert does all of the work.

3. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    They are different with different pressure plates heights, you may scratch the 120 using 220 backs.

HOWEVER 120 backs used are REALLY cheap, you can get them for $20-$50 each on eBay or even Adorama at times, they have more expensive ones but the quality doesn't seem to differ, I own one that I got for my RZ67 and it's actually in better condition and looks brand new.

Deals are out there, good luck!

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. CGW

CGW Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    HOWEVER 120 backs used are REALLY cheap, you can get them for $20-$50 each on eBay or even Adorama at times, they have more expensive ones but the quality doesn't seem to differ, I own one that I got for my RZ67 and it's actually in better condition and looks brand new.

Deals are out there, good

You might be able to find 120 inserts but working 120 backs aren't giveaway priced. Keep in mind that the old Pro backs lack the double exposure lock-outs of the later Pro S backs. Both would probably be candidates for light seal replacement, too, along with the seals on the RB unit, especially on the surface that mates up with the film back.

5. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    120 film works fine in 220 backs.

Just have to remember to roll off the film when you get to 11 on the counter.

6. jimrohrer

jimrohrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Stone said, the deals are there, but many of the 120 backs out there are very likely to need light seals (even ones from Adorama!)so be prepared to replace them.
    -Jim

7. Ric Trexell

Ric Trexell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My questions are worse!

I suppose you could sell them to someone that shoots color film, and then buy 120 size. Also, I don't know if this is possible, but could a repair shop convert the 220's to 120? The cost of having it done might be offset by the increase of value of the backs. The only things that might need to be changed would be the rollers and the pressure plate. Maybe this could be done by the owner if the parts were available. I have never heard of this being done, or if it is even something that can be done. Is it? Ric.

8. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RB 67 Pro SD backs in 120 are getting hard to find and quite expensive. The Pro S backs are serviceable, less expensive and more numerous.

9. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Oh right!! I have an RZ so they stopped using foam, just perfect machining of plastic/metal with groves...So I didn't have to worry about that. :sad: my bad...

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Look closer... only RZII backs have no (or less) foam. They do have rubber though.

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Pro 120 backs won't give you double exposure prevention.

Pro-S 120 backs are rarely that inexpensive unless they are in bad shape. They also use foam.

Pro-SD 120 backs are hard to find, but worth the premium.

You can use 120 in a 220 back, but it is tough on the backs, and you always risk not noticing that you are past the end of the film.

12. bushpig

bushpig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    He pretty much summed it up. Both my Mamiya backs are Pro-S and 6x7. For me, the SD backs aren't worth the price, but I'm broke as a joke, so of course, right? Some people may find that they need them, but I'm more than happy with the Pro-S. I actually could use another 120 back, but I'm able to survive with what I have.

And nobody else has mentioned this yet (possibly because they don't want the secret to get out), but the RB67 is able to use Graflex roll film holders. Not the 4x5 ones though. I just got a Graflex RH-12 from someone here on the site for a steal. Works great too. They're usually much more expensive and hard to come by. I got lucky. But the Graflex RH-10 (which is 6x7) is surprisingly cheap. Not nearly as in demand as the RH-12. It's a possibility if you need another back.

13. Thebes

Thebes Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My "23" Graphic pin roller w/ knob RH-8 does not fit in my RB67 Pro S. There is an extra rib on it. Just a note.
    Of course if it did fit I'd be wasting film, but the RB 120 backs are going for a premium these days since there is so little 220 about.
    Also, from my experience with several, the rb67 backs seem to be a weak point in system, both for light leaks and mechanical gremlins.

14. bushpig

bushpig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There's why you gotta do your research and not take my advice! I didn't know the RH-8 didn't work on the RB. I only have the RH-12 which I tested and it worked Perfectly. No light leaks and I shot in bright sunlight and didn't even use a dark slide.

I have both a 120 and 220 back. Both are Pro-S. I've never had any problems with them. I'm sorry to hear about your issues though.