Stupid meter tricks

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by DLawson, Sep 6, 2009.

1. DLawson

DLawson Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm working on my current restart with an OM-1 with a dead meter and a new-to-me Luna Pro. Last weekend, I went out and shot two rolls of film that ended up excessively under exposed, and that had me puzzled as to what I'd done wrong.

I'm also reading through The Camera, and trying to take in all that St. Ansel has to say about metering. So I pulled the meter out for a quick look this morning, and while fiddling with things I noticed that the exposure compensation ring wasn't zeroed. It was, in fact, set to drop exposure by 2-3 stops.

I feel really stupid, though less so than if I'd found that *after* this weekend's shooting.

In retrospect, I was surprised at how much light the meter said I had in deep shade.

2. jcorll

jcorll Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Awe that sucks :sad:
    Did you just recently buy (or aquire :wink: ) this light meter?
    Anytime I get new equipment, I am sure to read up on it and make sure it does everything it is supposed to.

At least you found this out now and not 10-12 rolls down the road!

Good luck!

3. DLawson

DLawson Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Pretty much. I'd shot one test roll prior, but it was the first time I had it out of the back yard.

Oh, that's just the thing. I did know about that dial, and had fiddled with it. even worse, the display has a big red tab that is exposed any time the compensation setting isn't zero. And I didn't even see that.

I had the meter hanging around my neck, bouncing off my belly, and it must have bumped to another position.

I'm pretty sure I'll remember to glance at that detail in the future, even if I'm having as good a time wandering as I was on that trek.

Live. Learn. Reshoot.

4. cooltouch

cooltouch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't feel so all alone. A few months back, I found a Luna Pro SBC at a local camera shop in their junk bin. It had a sticker on it that said "4 stops under - $5". Welp, I figured I might be able to adjust it or have it adjusted for less than what the SBC was worth, so I took the chance and paid $5 for it.

Got it home, replaced the battery, and one of the first things I noticed was that the EC ring was turned way the heck away from zero. So, I turned it back. Compared it to my Luna Pro F, and it was dead nuts on the money, or at least it agreed with the F.

I've thought about going back there and letting the folks at the shop know about their error. But why should I wise them up -- or hurt their feelings? :smile:

Michael

5. jcorll

jcorll Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I guess it wasn't a chain store? Any camera chain that I've been to doesn't have "Junk Bins". There aren't many individually owned camera shops around me. I might just start my own! :smile:

I love finding deals like that!

6. cooltouch

cooltouch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, junk bins can be fun. Nope -- it's not a chain. It's a cool place actually. Camera Co-op, in Houston, TX. Back in the day, they pretty much always had an outstanding inventory of used manual focus film cameras and lenses. Not so much anymore. Another cool, privately owned camera shop here in Houston is Houston Camera Exchange. Decent selection of new and used, competitive prices.

Michael

7. DLawson

DLawson Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The good news is that this only set me back by one step on the start-up ramp. I finally had time to shoot and develop another roll in similar conditions, but making sure to use the meter correctly. This roll turned out with reasonable densities. I may still be off by a stop, but calibrating my equipment to the film (HP5+) is the goal at this point, and now I can work on that.

8. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find It's very easily done with the compensation /Exposure factor dial on Gossen meters I have a Profisix ( Lunapro SBC in the U.S ) and I have to take care with it to ensure it is set on zero.
    Don't take the meter back Michael, it will embarrass them to discover they "Don't know an f stop from a bus stop " like most people who work in camera shops these days.

9. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Check an incident reading against a reflected reading off a gray card. If done correctly they should match and suggest the meter is okay. Possibly the camera shutter speeds are off.

10. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really miss junk bins in camera stores It was one of great pleasures of photography, digging through them and seeing what treasures you can find.