Stupid mistake with glycol

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by bogeyes, Sep 4, 2007.

1. bogeyes

bogeyes Member

I had phenidone and pyrocatechin mixed in blue propylene glycol auto antifreeze. Today I thought that I would mix a fresh batch of pyrocat hd. Problem, I had run out of phenidone mixed in propylene glycol. So I had a search around my garage and found some red ethylene glycol anti-freeze. I warmed up the ethylene glycol and stirred in my phenidone it went into solution no problem. Then I put a measured amount of pyrocatechine/prop glycol in a glass jar I then added a measured amount of phenidone/ethylene glycol in the jar. Disaster! I ended up with a frothy slurry like mixture. Why did my glycols not mix together?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2007
  2. Murray@uptowngallery

Murray@uptowngallery Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Someone told me that green antifreeze is 100% propylene glycol but other types of antifreeze have other ingredients, possibly because the ethylene variety is considered the more toxic and an industry exists around its recovery.

I don't know if I'm completely comfortable with hearsay, but maybe that gives you an angle to investigate.

Murray

3. kiku

kiku Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Murray: Some months ago my auto mechanic told me not to mix types of antifreeze in my car's cooling system; they do not mix well and can do damage to an engine. Using "green" stay with green, using "orange" stick with orange, etc., etc. Sounds like similar results with photo chemicals.
    Cordially, Howard Tanger