Stuttgart & Munich Camera shops

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Mick Fagan, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Next week I'm off to Germany for a 2½ week visit of the wifes family.

After some discussion, it now appears I will have time off from visiting sister and brother in-laws and my beloved mother in-law, to trip around on my own with a camera.

One of the things in both of these cities, would be to look up camera shops with analogue gear, just in case there is something worth burning the plastic card for.

The camera scene has obviously changed quite a lot since I was last walking through both of these places, so I was wondering whether anyone out there knows of those shops that are still operating and where they are?

I'll actually be based very close to Reutlingen, in Eningen Unter Achalm, I think that's the correct spelling.

Mick.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2005
  2. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can't help you with Stuttgart, but I asked this same question about Munich last year. I was told:

SecondHandCameraShop, Landwehrstr. 3, 80336 München, Tel. 089-55079595, www.secondhandcamera.de
    Cityfoto, Rindermarkt 16, 80331 Munich, Tel. 089-265112, www.cityphoto.de
    Photo Bazar, Josephspitalstr. 5, 80331 Munich, Tel. 089-2607313, www.photo-bazar.de
    Foto Nürbauer, Zweibrückenstr. 13, 80331 Munich, Tel. 089-296151
    Foto Öhlschlegel, Reichenbachstr. 5, 80469 Munich, Tel. 089-2285666, www.foto-oehlschlegel.de

Nothing was cheap! Have fun anyway.

David

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Be sure to take a really nice photo of your mother-in-law :smile: :tongue:

4. Imke

Imke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  5. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David, they look like quite good places to check out for the odd bit of photo gear, many thanks for that.

Matt, don't worry, I take good pictures of my mother-in-law and send her Ilford post cards, she thinks it's a buzz getting a postcard of herself and shows all of her friends.

Imke, I'm not that big a fan of Ebay. Living in this country I've bought quite a few things very long distance. In all cases I've had a telephone conversation with the seller, and always gotten a gut feeling about whether or not to go ahead with the purchase. I do understand that there are people who purchase many things on that type of forum, I just haven't gotten into it, yet.

Mick.

6. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Resurrecting the thread, since I'll be in Munich in a month and probably will have the time to visit a nice store with film and darkroom stuff, if I find one.

So, does anybody know whether the shops mentioned in David's post still exist ?? Only the first link he posted works, the other ones seem inactive... some other recommendation ??

Also, does anybody know whether I will be allowed to enter the "Deutsches Museum" with my Rolleiflex ? Is it OK to make pictures (without flash of course) in there ??

7. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Funnily enough, I'll be back in Munich in March through to the end of June, with Munich as a base for bopping around parts of Europe and I was about to do a search for this thread, many thanks George for saving me the effort.

You are correct, only the first link works. I did visit two of the places, including the first one with the working link, beware prices for stuff in Germany are sometimes very expensive, mainly because they seem to stock well preserved specimens of originally expensive stuff anyway.

I'm not sure about today, but during my visit to Germany when this thread was started, I visited the Deutches Museum and walked around with an F3 taking the odd picture or two without flash, not a problem.

I would suggest you get to the museum early, you can easily stay there all day. Last visit there, we entered about 5 minutes after the doors opened and left as they were shutting the doors.

Mick.

8. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I wonder if it's possible to visit the Linhof factory, at the very least, to drool... ;-)

Marc!

9. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  10. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That is OK. There are a few shows which are worthwile - e.g. the "lightning" show, with meterlong sparks.

11. George Papantoniou

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Great ! Thank you Andreas & Mick !!

Marc, I am not sure whether I'd like to visit Linhof nowadays...

We'll be surely at the gates of the Deutsches Museum when they open on Sunday (I think Sundays are the day the museums only charge 1 euro admission fee, 'cause there's going to be 4 of us) and plan to stay there for the day (hope the lighting is good in the rooms with the locomotives etc !!)

And then, there so many biergartens to visit... I don't know if there's going to be enough time for shopping... but we'll see !!!

12. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1€ museum entrance fee on sundays in Germany??
    Too good to be true.

13. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's even better: wednesday free entrance in the Pinkatothek der Moderne in Munich. Some Museums in Munich have 1€ entrance fee on sundays (check on their website, I think that's valid for the Bavaria owned museums).

14. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess I have to move.

15. George Papantoniou

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Unfortunately, I won't be there on a Wednesday.

16. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I doubt,they let you photograph in there, but they may sk you to donate your camera.:laugh:

17. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did.they were very hospitibel and showed me around to see whatevr I wanted.their assembly line was not what HenryFord had in mind.It was more like the1800s.all manual and no automation with parts in wooden boxesbut very cleanand filled with historyand pride.

18. Bundesphotograph

Bundesphotograph Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Taking pictures in Deutsches Museum:

"Visitors are permitted to film and take photographs for private purposes as long as they do so with a hand-held camera and without a tripod. Photography and recordings for publications must be arranged in advance with the museum's press office"

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/information/visitor-information/

Cheers
    Wolfgang