Submitted my Rollei to Harry for CLA

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ToddB, Oct 16, 2012.

1. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is going to be hard waiting for my T to come back. Turn around is 9 weeks. Still have my Mamiya.

Todd

2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Awww, you poor baby. Want me to go visit for you... Fleenor is just down the road.

3. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine took 10 weeks, but that was last March. After waiting a while and not doing it because of the wait I finally did it. So glad I did.

4. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Fall Leaves image

This was on the last roll I shot this weekend. Then it froze up.. wouldn't advance and shutter wouldn't fire.

Todd

Attached Files:

5. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I need to send mine "one of these days".

But it is too expensive. If the Rollei was gone for 10 weeks, I would be photographing with the 11x14 way too much! (the 8x10 would not provide enough comfort...)

6. flash26c

flash26c Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just got my SL66 back from Harry (thanks Harry) and it's now working great again. I also need to have my 2.8F looked at so I will send to Harry in a few weeks as soon as our wonderful weather peeders out --------- Harry's the Man!
    Ron

7. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    When I get ready to sell mine I will first send it to Harry so he can put his sticker inside that will increase the sales price significantly.

...just kidding, I already have the sticker and I'm never selling my 2.8F

8. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Best camera ever! Rollei's rock!

9. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Got a diagnosis from Harry

Hey guys,

Harry Fleener got my T and examined it. Here is what he found out:

Hello Todd Berenger,

Received: Rolleiflex T with aluminum lens cap, Rolleiflex case.

Defects on receipt: some paint worn on hood & nameplate edges, some fine scratches front surface taking lens.

Service required:
    shutter overhaul $134.00, repair front controls (stiff) $39.00, transport checked OK- the squeek is just the rollers-I'll lubricate them, UPS shipping $27.00, total is $200.00.

I should mention that he pointed out those scratches.. They dont seem to effect the image quality at all. High scanning or darkroom printing.

ToddB

10. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is a lot more reasonable of a price than some people (who never report the price) lead us to believe. Thanks for sharing all of the information!

11. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... did he mention turnaround time?

12. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    9 weeks..

Todd

13. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only because most people's Rolleiflexes have more issues. He'll do just the CLA if that's all you want. Personally for me I took him up on all issues he found on one of mine, including a rusty film feeler, cracked strap holder and bent foot that another Rolleiflex tech missed a couple years back.

14. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another person told me last week he's quoting about 9 weeks right now.

15. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Brian, here's two repair estimates I got from Harry last March for my 2.8E and 3.5E Planars. I had him complete both and they are a dream to use now. The 2.8E was a real beater I bought from a small shop in a Beijing alley and it was a real mess and as can be seen needed a lot of work (I got it real cheap!). I had another person do a simple and "reasonably priced" CLA on it a few years back. It helped but later the hood fell apart and more issues arose as can be seen there was way more issues. The 3.5E was in good shape. I bought it from Randy of Holgamods a few years ago. The pin of the film advance crank fell out and got lost. And as can be seen I had Harry install a new Maxwell screen so that added $199 to that estimate:

Received: Rolleiflex 2.8E w/case.

Defects on receipt: hood parts loose, focus knob & front panel & lens mount have paint damage, scratches front & rear surfaces taking lens, film feeler roller rusted, release lock & sync lock levers are missing, front tilted & out of alignment, back bent.

Service required: repair hood $49.00, shutter overhaul $134.00, transport overhaul (stiff) $134.00, straighten back $24.00, replace release lock & sync lock levers $39.00, replace back lock pin $22.00, replace rusted film feeler roller $29.00, repair focusing, re-align, collimate & adjust focus $110.00, repair depth of field scale (sluggish) $49.00, replace missing & damaged leather $29.00, CA tax on parts $8.63, UPS shipping $27.00, total is $654.63 invoice #20106.

Received: Rolleiflex 3.5E with no accessories.

Defects on receipt: front foot bent, dent on top of hood strapholder- back latch damaged.

Service required: straighten bent foot $16.00, shutter overhaul $134.00, transport overhaul $134.00, secure tripod mount plate $16.00, install Maxwell #1 screen $199.00 + $10.00 labor, replace strapholder $39.00, CA tax on parts $17.26, UPS shipping $27.00, total is $592.26 invoice #20107.

16. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My father was never rich enough to buy a Rolleiflex back in the 1950's but he did spring for a Rolleicord. I had Harry bring that back to life after it sat idle in the house in Florida for about 35 years without a single roll in it. Harry did a great job. Long time to wait but this camera from my father works really well now.

17. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The last time I had my Rollei overhauled (someone else, not Fleenor) I was quoted the lens CLA and abody CLA/minor repairs seprately. Once I needed both done; a decade later I needed just lens CLA. I seem to recall (and this was a couple of decades ago) the price being about $125 each. The person I went to didn't add on cost for minor repairs like tightening tripod mount, whcih was about the only body repair I ever needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2012
  18. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Others I've sent my Rolleiflexes to in the past never found (even looked?) for such things.

19. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes.. Obviously the price is based on the severity of repair work. The camera I have was in very good condition cosmedically. I got lucky. I expressed to him to to give a once over and to go ahead and do whats needed to get back to factory specs as much as possible.

ToddB