Substitute for Ansco 130

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Lyn Arnold, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Lyn Arnold

Lyn Arnold Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been mixing and using Ansco 130 for a few years and love it for its "look" and keeping qualities as a paper developer. But the combined cost of Glycin and shipping to Australia is getting prohibitive. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

I prefer to mix my own developers rather than buying proprietary products.

Thanks in advance

Lyn

2. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ethol's LPD is a fairly long-lasting dev, but I don't know if you can find it there. However, you should be able to find Dektol; lasts fairly well and should be much cheaper than glycin.

3. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dektol won't give you the Ansco 130 look. It also doesn't last nearly as long as 130. Look around and see if you can find the Ilford Warmtone pre-mixed liquid. I know it's a proprietary developer, but it is relatively economical, and if the Ilford importer in Australia brings it in, it should be readily available.

4. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nothing is really like Ansco 130, unfortunately.

Perhaps ordering larger quantities of glycin and mixing up larger quantities of stock solution (which keep for a very long time) will be your answer. I've also read that many people have had good luck freezing glycin, although I personally have not tried this. Supposedly the powder will keep years when frozen.

5. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think Ilford has actually discontinued their Warmtone developer.

6. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, given the keeping properties of Ansco 130, you could make a bigger order to amortize costs?

Otherwise, I found that PolymaxT is a pretty decent substitute, and has a slight edge over Dektol in terms of look. It's a commercial product, but it might be easier to find.

You might want to have a look at the recipes in here:
    http://www.jackspcs.com/pdev.htm

Or invest in The Darkroom Cookbook, which has quite a few formulae as well. The authors' explanations should help to guide you.

7. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    According to my first tests with Ansco 130 (which I liked quite a lot) the biggest difference is in print color. It gave me very warm prints with good contrast. It was warmer than anything I have been able to mix up but you might try mixing a developer with a lot of potas Bromide and not much sodium Carbonate.

If you are mixing from scratch as opposed to a box mix the Ansco 130 isn't all that expensive in the greater scheme of things.
    Dennis

8. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Far as I know, the only one they discontinued was the cooltone developer.

9. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A developer I always liked, but that almost requires a selenium toning session afterwards (unless you like a green cast) is Ilford Bromophen.
    I have used it diluted to 1+3 and have had good results from it. It's sold in powder form so shipping should be reasonable. It works really well with Kentmere Kentona paper and Ilford Warmtone.
    I can't say that it's precisely like A-130, but it does display a really nice tonal scale, and its keeping properties was good in my darkroom. I used the same concentrate, stored in a glass bottle, for almost a year without any noticeable change.

- Thomas

10. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cooltone was the discontinued product, not Warmtone.

11. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Has anyone tinkered with putting their Glycin in solution to maintain longevity? I use about 1# every 5-6 months so have not had any problems with the stuff from Formulary....EC

12. DeBone 75

DeBone 75 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too like 130 but my Glycin is old and brown and can't afford any new. It still works but I try to save it for special times. So I also was looking around. I was reading a post on Salvich Bromide. While reading the artical I saw he ( Liam Lawless) had a warmtone dev. I tryed it, and with some tweeking and playing I came very close to the 130 look. I upped the bromide slightly and I did not put the carbonate in until I mix the working. At a dilution of 1:12 I get a nice warm but not brown print. I dev. this for 3 min. My paper is Arista II. I have not tryed it on other papers yet. I will try it with Varycon. Here is the url http://www.ex-obscurum.com/slavich.htm. The dev. formula is about a third the way done.

13. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I have posted on that topic here on APUG. I disolved the Glycin in TEA (Triethanolamine). Worked fine.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used Ilford ID-78 with excellent results (I mix it from scratch and add more Potassium Bromide). Ian Grant posted the ID-78 recipe in the APUG recipes section a long time ago - but it has since disappeared.

16. ongarine

ongarine Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Here the ID-78 formula:
    ID-78

750 ml. water
    50 grams Sodium sulfite anidro
    62 grammi Sodium carbonate anidro
    12 grammi Idrochinon
    0.50 grammi Phenidone in 20 ml. alcool
    *4.5 grammi Potassium Bromide

Diluition 1+1 water 1 minute developing time at 20 C.
    Diluition 1+3 water 2 minutes tdeveloping time at 20 C.
    * you can add until 10 grams of Potassium Bromide to increase warm tones
    For all the lovers of warm tones paper developer here there is a tab in French with interesting paper developers.

Attached Files:

17. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is also Kodak's DK-93. From Anchell's Darkroom Cookbook:

p-aminiphenol HCl 5 grams
    Sod. Sulfite 30g
    HQ 2.5g
    Sod. Metaborate 20g
    Pot. Bro. .5g

For warm tones on paper, use w/o dilution dev for 2 min. For colder tones, 2x the Sod. Metabortate and dev for 1-2 min.

You can also use this dev for film.

I included this dev as it may use more readily available chems.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2007
  18. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've mixed this one too (from Kodak's published recipe that I posted on Apug a while back - now it's gone). I found it an interesting and useful developer.

The Hydroquinone and Phenidone in ID-78 are readily available - as are the Potassium Bromide, Sodium Sulfite and Sodium Carbonate.

19. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hi Tom,
    What kind of solution?...Evan Clarke

20. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Tom,
    I found a previous post about Ansco 130 and it was a response to me. Have you done just Glycin in TEA? I use glycin in a couple formulas...EC

21. Lyn Arnold

Lyn Arnold Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you one and all for your responses. APUG is such a wonderful source of photographic experience and wisdom.

I'll give the Kodak DK-93 and the ID-78 a try. I have Anchell's publication.

Greetings for the festive season -- it's getting hot here, but good beach weather!

Lyn

22. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The suggestions of other developers are good, but none will "substitute" for 130. It's about the glycin. The suggestions for ordering glycin in a large amount and mixing and keeping it in solution to preserve it are the best ones, if you are truly looking for 130 like properties.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2007
  23. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Just to chime in on Glycin, I just ordered via telephone from Photographer's Formulary today a Pound of Glycin which cost 80 USD. Compared to Hydroquinone that is a lot of money. But if you figure you use a liter of working solution and you only use 5 grams of Glycin that means it costs something around a dollar a batch for the Glycin which isn't enough to worry about too much but then the issue is definitely storage if you want to keep it bright and fresh. However I just tried it out last week with Glycin that was stored room temp in a drawer for something like 2.5 years and it was a light brown color but worked fine.

PS Also right now at Photographers Formulary they have free shipping for a pound of Glycin.

24. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh dear, Christmas in bathing suits? What is the world coming to? :smile:

25. ronlamarsh

ronlamarsh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ansco 130

I don't know if "brown "glycin means itsd bad but photographers formulary in Montana(usa) has their own 130 developer pre-packaged in a box at a very fair price. I don't know if its any easier to get into Australia though.

26. Lyn Arnold

Lyn Arnold Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looks as though I will have to 'bite the bullet' and order more Glycin. Last time the shipping charge was more than one third of the total cost for just 100 grams. I'll order a larger amount this time.

Thanks all