Success!

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by rwreich, Jan 31, 2013.

1. rwreich

rwreich Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello friends,

I am very excited to share that my first attempt at processing B/W film at home was a success. Now... plans to build a real darkroom in the basement by May need to happen!

Chemistry.jpg Negative Proof.jpg

2. hgernhardt

hgernhardt Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Obviously! From what I can see, the outcome looks quite nice. I smile at the fact that you sprung for gloves—when I first learned to do B&W processing no such personal protective equipment was used. I still stick my fingers in the trays. A printing day isn't quite a printing day unless my right hand smells of fixer the next morning. :smile:

I encourage it! Don't spend too long making plans, though—after a sufficient level of planning, action should be taken. I've found a great deal of joy from running prints.

3. rwreich

rwreich Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks, Henry. The only thing keeping me from building this darkroom tomorrow is that I will need to build a wall and have electrical and plumbing set up. I just don't have that kind of time and money until closer to Summer. That's okay, though, because by then I'll have plenty of stuff to print!

4. rwreich

rwreich Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I should mention that I got gloves because I was nervous that my hand sweat would foul the film while putting it in the reel. I also managed not to smell like fixer, though, now I wonder if that makes it less than authentic;-)

5. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Keep on the way you're going. Nothing wrong with THAT film.
    I realize I'm not the Henry you meant. I just chimed in.

6. rwreich

rwreich Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No worries! Thanks to you, too, Henry F.

7. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks great. Plenty of us, myself include, work in make shift darkrooms. Anything is possible with enough ingenuity and occasional swearing. Have fun.

8. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations, you're not very far behind me... I just recently started up again too. It is totally fun.
    I definitely could not wait to build a darkroom in my garage ( though I'm thinking about it. ) I'm managing in a small closet, and am simply thrilled to be making my own prints. Have fun! ( Posted as I came out after making 2 more prints, one that was the "that's better than I was even hoping for" variety is hanging to dry!! )

9. h.v.

h.v. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, congrats. I'm in the same boat as you, just having started last Sunday. But I won't be building a darkroom, I'll just be keeping on using the bathroom. Good luck with building the darkroom, though, that should be fun.

10. MattPC

MattPC Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    nice work, it's good to create...
    There's no real need for all that, I have 200 micron builders paper and some free standing shelves as 'walls'. Running water is also over-rated. print a few, wash a few (garden hose on spray, I'm sure the neighbours think I'm nut's but who really cares?), print some more. I find that with the lights off all the low budget building materials simply disappear...

have fun.

MattPC

11. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like you are off to a good start!

Jeff

12. baachitraka

baachitraka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its just one more step after the success in getting the negatives. In the mean-time you can pick up equipments for your darkroom like, enlarger, timer and so on.

13. rwreich

rwreich Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the encouragement, friends. Most of the would-be darkroom space is already fine. I have a U-shaped wall with shelves on the long side and electrical sockets on all three walls. I'm going to need a sink with a line that runs to an existing drain as well as the removal of a florescent light that is in the way of the wall I need to build. Add a couple tables, install a safelight or two and a ventilation fan, put in the enlarger and I'm there.

My goal is to have complete control of the artistic process without ever having to sit at the computer.

14. baachitraka

baachitraka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am afraid you may have to sit in front of the computer, at-least to present your work here in APUG. ;-)

15. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I still use the uutility room off my kitchen for a darkroom. I develope film and wash prints in the kitchen sink. Having a dedicated DR sink is over rated.

16. hgernhardt

hgernhardt Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good! That makes things a lot easier.

My printing space is also a small (8' by 9') office. I set my enlarger up on the L-desk (after moving important papers safely out of the way) and set up my trays on a 6' collapsing table—one of those that folds in half in the middle.

Spend a few bucks on a Delta 1 safelight bulb (or similar). I use the 11w version bare, pointed into a corner of the room. It works in any standard screw-type household socket.

You have such a thing? Hm! I've actually never used one… :smile: Given, I can see where it would be a very good idea if you're in a small, enclosed space for a great deal of time with lots of open chemicals. Even standard B&W fixer can get to be a bit much. Erring on the side of safety can't be bad.

Good luck with it all. It sounds like you're having a great deal of fun already.

17. rwreich

rwreich Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the advice about the Delta 1 safelight bulb - I really am enjoying this, and as of today, I'm 2 for 2: 2013-02-01 19.52.58.jpg

18. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Your post on the 1st made me smile :smile: Every time someone says they've just developed their first lot of negatives, particularly with "Success!" attached to it, I vicariously re-live the first roll of film I developed only a few short years ago.
    Congratulations to you (and on your "2 for 2"!) and thanks for the memories!

19. rwreich

rwreich Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks, Molli! Take care...