Successful Buy with Dan Krebs

Discussion in '[Classifieds] For Sale' started by Sully75, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Sully75

Sully75 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not sure if this is the place for it but I think it is.

Had a successful buy from Dan Krebs for one Graflex 4x5 back. Exactly as described, well packed and shipped quickly. And friendly emails as well. Would certainly buy from him again.

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    does he have a username ?

good to know the good ones out there!
    ( i have dealt with good and umm the no so good .. )

there used to be a feedback system in the classy fides,
    i guess it doesn't exist these days ...

john

3. Sully75

Sully75 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Whoops! Fotoguy20d he is.

I had a nightmare on ebay recently that's finally resolved. So yeah, pretty refreshing.

4. photobizzz

photobizzz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why don't we start a thread that is a "sticky" where we can post positive feedback for each other, negative feedback should not be necessary as we are all adults and if a deal goes south we should be able to police ourselves with a moderator getting involved in only the most serious situations. I will email a mod to ask if this is ok...

5. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm... I've never had any but fairly good experiences on here. I think people will generally come through if you give them the chance (?) or if you don't necessarily expect the worst from them(??) - but then again I'm from Canada... so what do I know...? :D

6. sun of sand

sun of sand Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    wouldn't it be shorter if

lol I just like this

where we can post positive feedback for each other!!!!!!!!

negative feedback
    should not be necessary as we are all adults
    :/

Dan Krebs I would like to buy something of yours
    name your price

7. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    son of sand

adults ( even from canada )
    can act not-so-nice when selling something that isn't like they-say-it-is and the buyer isn't happy ...

i have had problems with "overly optimistic" sellers here and elsewhere...
    it wasn't so much that they got mad, but they were threatening, and downright nasty + "unprofessional"

if there is feedback it should be good and bad ...

only good isn't fair, for the potential buyer ...

8. photobizzz

photobizzz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    well what I asked the mod I PM'ed about starting the thread is if there is negative feedback that the mod will approve it, this way all avenues for fixing the issue have been exhausted and not just someone that is upset and flew off the handle before the seller has the chance to rectify the problem, I agree it should be good and bad, just that bad should be scrutinized by a third party, does that sound fair?

9. sun of sand

sun of sand Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I don't like the idea
    No go

10. Sully75

Sully75 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Didn't want to stir anything up. I've seen people conclude a classifieds sale with a confirmation that they received the item, and since this was in the WTB and probably not going to get much viewing otherwise I started a new thread.

11. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A few years back on the APUG classifieds there was a place in the add that allowed the buyer to give feedback. It gave information about the buyer, etc. Now the "ads" just look like a regular forum post. I made some terrific purchases awhile ago and was more than happy with everyone I dealt with. Most everything listed here is priced as if the owner was selling it to a friend and that's nice to see these days- worth the price of a subscription alone!

12. photobizzz

photobizzz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I personally don't need a feedback forum; although we are a very large forum there seems to be a relatively small amount of people that regularly use the classifieds so I haven't found a need for a "reference" before purchasing an item, most everyone here has been on the forum longer than me and is super nice so I am never hesitant to make a purchase. Likewise I have not had anyone ask me for a reference before buying from me so I am not complaining that there isn't a feedback forum or thread - just putting out the idea of how to make one if it is needed.

Anyway it will ultimately be up to a moderator to make the decision.

13. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the old classifieds area was free standing and
    sellers had a profile.
    there was just a quick+dirty 1 (bad) - 5(good) and quick sentence describing the transaction.
    AND if things were "fixed" at a later date the feedback could be " updated " ...
    it doesn't seem like something moderators need to be involved with
    ( they and sean are busy enough keeping this place running problem free ) ...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2010
  14. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I dunno man... seems a bit scary/fascist - i.e. - people getting into fights in forums and claiming they bought something from someone and had a bad experience as retribution, etc... seems the potential for corrupt behaviour is a bit high. What's wrong with just sending the item back if one's unhappy with it? Or is the fear more about sending something out and not receiving payment for it...?

15. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seems like it would be a good idea just to have a standard APUG seller/buyer policy that would ensure that people can return things they don't like, or don't feel are up-to-snuff..(?). Perhaps? That way - if there's a standard agreement - there's not much room for quibbling...(?)

16. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format

huh, i didn't see it like that jon -
    i thought the feedback systems were just
    to give people an idea of who they are buying from ....

the old system allowed only the person who made the
    transaction/s make the comment.

not sure how that is fascist or scary ...

your idea is a good one, standard agreement

but then again, some people can get really nasty when you ask to return something ... how would such an agreement be enforced ??
    an ombudsman ? :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2010
  17. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well...

I could see where the old system might be abused buy other people...
    but certainly not by us! Is this not APUG? :wink:

18. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    it is just as ez for a seller to verbally abuse a buyer
    knowing there is no way that anyone will know about it ...

19. cdholden

cdholden Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just thought I'd add my two cents.

Dan Krebs of recent forum thread fame is pulling double duty!
    Not only is he reputed to be a good seller, but I can confirm he's a damn fine buyer too. Friendly emails and prompt payment made our recent transaction a pleasure to complete.
    If Ebay had more people like Dan, it could suck a lot less.

20. jamesgignac

jamesgignac Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've always had good experiences dealing with people from here through the classified section. I've only purchased small things - negative carriers, film backs, etc., but have always been pleased - I even received a free Agfa isolette once.

eB*y is another matter but as long as you stick to the sellers who post copious amounts of photos and describe the mechanical workings of the equipment down to the smallest detail you should be fine. I've only ever been ripped off buying audio gear from there - most camera/lens listings are pretty easy to read...and if they aren't I stay away.

21. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hard to say what to do about this. I don't see us coming up with a whole separate forum for feedback. Really, I think the classifieds section is small enough, and there are sufficient bars to entry (namely the subscription requirement), that we probably don't need it. Most subscribers have their forum reputation to protect, and that's enough to keep people honest. When transactions have gone wrong, it's usually due to some legitimate problem, like the seller becoming ill before completing the transaction, or ineptness on the part of one of the parties, more than dishonesty.

If someone has had a problem, it's usually become public, and though APUG regards transactions in the classifieds as private matters between buyer and seller, we'll usually do what we can to help people sort things out, since we may have access to information that isn't public that can help resolve the situation, or we may know things that aren't obvious about people, just from being around the forum for a long time.

I think it's enough just to leave a "thanks for the good deal" post at the end of the thread for the item. Maybe sellers should make a point of leaving the thread open long enough for the buyer to post feedback in the thread.