Suggested developer for Fomapan 100

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by blockend, Sep 10, 2013.

1. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm getting back into large format and am looking for a developer for Fomapan 100. Currently I use Rodinal 1:100 semi-stand and ID11 (1:1 and 1:3) but both provide grainier results than I would like. Anyone use this film with a developer they'd recommend?

2. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Funny, even with Pyrocat I found it more like a 400 speed film in terms of grain. Maybe someone can chime in about a good Xtol time and dilution?

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use Fomapan 100 & 200 in Pyrocat HD and get good fine grain, I shoot at half the box speeds and with dev times about 70% of other films I use. The emulsions are slightly soft so you need to take care that the temperature of all steps inc washing is kept tight to +/- 1°C.

In the past I also used Xtol with these films again with excellent results.

Ian

4. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    D-76 1+1 gives beautiful tonality, as does PMK. It is a grainy film compared to modern films like Tmax.

[​IMG]
    D-76 1+1

[​IMG]
    PMK 1+2+100

5. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's grainy for its speed, no matter what you do with it (well, I guess if you put it in the fixer first you won't get much grain, but short of that... :smile: I usually shoot it at 50 and develop for 8:30 in PC-TEA, which usually has the same dev times as Xtol 1+2.

For larger formats it looks really nice in Caffenol developers, but in 35mm I expect the grain would be intolerable. You could always try a super-fine-grain developer like Perceptol and see how you like the results, of course.

-NT

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i process it with caffenol c and a jigger of spent print developer added for good measure.
    great film !

john

7. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, it's grainy and you're not really going to change that. I shoot it in 4x5 and develop for about 9:00-9:30 in Xtol 1+1, rotary with 30s prewash.

It also looks good in D76 1+1.

8. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies. D76 and ID-11 are virtually identical, so that route has been covered, maybe I'm expecting too much of an old-tech film. I shall experiment with box speeds and try some different developers. Curiously, I've had good results from Foma 100 in 120 format, but 4 x 5 doesn't seem to offer the tonality/grain progress one would expect.

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Foma films are a touch quirky but once you've done some tests to determine your optimum EI and development times they behave as well as other films. I shoot 120 & 5x4 with no issues, excellent tonality as well as good fine grain as I mentioned previously.

[​IMG]

This negative has been printed to 24"x24" (actual image area) and still shows fine grain.

Ian

10. miha

miha Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is there a starting point for Fomapan 100 4x5 exposed at E.I. 50 to be developed in Perceptol?

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you'd need to drop the speed abit more to 25 or 32 EI with Fomapan 100 in Preceptol and start at 8-10 minutes.

Ian

12. miha

miha Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ian. I've just checked if there is any data on the Foma Bohemia site - lazy me - and they do list the time for Perceptol but they don't mention at what exposure when it's obvious from the graphs on the second page of the document that only Microphen and Xtol can reach the speed of ISO 100 at gamma 0.6.

13. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Miha, you might notice there's a rather large difference in tonality between the example I posted and thise earlier in the thread. Foma films are rather contrasty and they tend to build this up rather quickly so you need to make sure the negatives aren't over-developed.

I did some simple Zone system tests when I began using foma films and later some reciprocity tests, i foindthe films far better than Foma themselves suggest.

Ian

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love the look of Fomapan 100 in P-cat HD and PMK Pyro. I've been shooting it for several years in all formats, 135, 120, and 4x5. This is 35mm in PMK Pyro

scan0005.jpg

16. miha

miha Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure Ian, there is an obvious difference, and I certainly prefer less contrasty negatives, which only means more exposure, less development. I've read your coment once re reciprocity where you suggested 1/2 at 1s and 1s at 10 seconds if I remember correctly.

17. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you want to reduce the appearance of grain, shoot scenes that have high-contrast lighting, lots of fine detail and no subtle gradations. Anything where you need to boost contrast (whether it's through increased development or high contrast paper) will show more grain.

18. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole

Hi Ian,
    Nice shot of the Sagrada Familia. Did you develop this one in Pyrocat HD?
    Bert

19. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I only use Pyrocat HD now as I find it's excellent with all the films I use. There's a touch of detail in the shaows of the tree on the print which is lost in the scan of a small print.

Ian

20. gracjan

gracjan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been shooting Fomapan 100 in 4x5 for last few years with D-76 1+1 as a developer. I haven't tried any other developer, but to be honest I wouldn't expect too much. Fomapan is just OK for me - nothing more, nothing less. In 120 format I use FP4+/HP5+ with D-76 1+1 and I love them. If the price would not be the key factor, I would do it also in LF. In Poland, where I live, price of FP4+ per sheet is almost 3x higher that Fomapan...

21. gliderbee

gliderbee Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    At what speed do you expose?

Thanks,
    Stefan

Verstuurd van mijn GT-P7510 met Tapatalk

22. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, the Massive Dev Chart suggests 7:30 at EI 50 or 8:00 at EI 100 for Perceptol stock; 10-11 minutes 1+1, EI 100; 14-15 minutes 1+3, EI 100. That should provide some starting points---it seems sort of optimistic to target box speed, but you could vary EI through a roll and see what works with those dev times, for a start.

-NT

23. miha

miha Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks! It's 4x5 film, already exposed at EI 50. I shall try 10 minutes at 1+1.

24. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    On a side note, try 200. My lord it's a pretty film.

25. miha

miha Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tell me about it:smile: I've developed several rolls of it in 135 and 120 formats. It was really great develped in T-Max, even pushed in my Mamiya, and printed on either ADOX MCC or Variotone.

26. gliderbee

gliderbee Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    You do mean fomapan 200, not fomapan 100 at 200?

Verstuurd van mijn GT-P7510 met Tapatalk