suggested flash for my nikon FE2 or FA

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by brianentz, Oct 27, 2012.

1. brianentz

brianentz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I love shooting with my FE2 and FA, but am not as enamored of my SB-16 flash. Too big and very slow to recycle compared to modern flashes. I require my flash to have the tilt and swivel functions it has. Just wondering what more modern flash of comparable ability would work on my nikons. Would a speed light or any other modern flash?

2. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Actually, I believe Nikon's modern flashes, that they sell for their digital SLRs, are fully compatible with the TTL metering of older models. I use my SB-800 on my old F4 all the time in TTL auto mode.

3. freecom2

freecom2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use an SB-25 with my FE2. Full TTL compatibility - it's a really good bit of kit (aside from those vulnerable hot shoe foots), and a reason why Nikon strobes from that era are still popular for strobist work, even in 2012.

4. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Even the old and bold SB16 will give full compatibility with the FE2 and FA and they can be picked up very cheaply. I had an SB28 which worked on my F4 but didn't have the solid build quality of the SB16.

Of course the SB16 can be converted for use with full compatability on the F3 with the interchangeable shoe as well, which the other flashed can't

5. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Chris, your SB-800 works very well with film cameras but Nikon's newer flash models, SB-700 and SB-900 and SB-whatever are only compatible with Nikon's DSLR cameras. All flashes up until SB-800 are good for FE2 or FA.

6. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I really liked my sb25’s, I only used it in manual mode. Mostly off camera but also used it on manual for on camera at a few weddings.

7. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I hesitate to recommend this, because the last thing I want to do is drive up eBay prices, but the best flash ever made was Sunpak's 383 Super. No, it's not dedicated nor TTL. It's got tilt, swivel, a good light output, 3 auto settings, a full manual setting, and adjustable power all the way down to 1/16th. You can find AC adapters or battery packs for extra recycling speed, and it has a plugin for a PC cord. It's got ONE flash contact so it can't (potentially) confuse camera electronics. That means you can use it on any camera. And to top it off, it's got a low trigger voltage so it won't harm electronics of today's DSLRs or MILCs.

8. PentaxBronica

PentaxBronica Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Metz 45 series are pretty hard to beat if you can find them for sensible money. Bought a 45 CL-1 for £30 with working Nicad pack, charger, bracket and PC cord a while ago which comes out if I need a big gun. I should probably rebuild the battery pack with new cells but it holds a charge for weeks and doesn't seem to run out of juice that quickly.

9. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sunpak 322

10. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I won't recommend the SB26 :tongue:
    Best regards

11. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That sucks. I didn't realize the newer flashes took away the compatibility with the older cameras. My newest Nikon flash is the SB-800. I bought it for a digital camera I no longer own, and keep it in case I want to use it on my F4 (rarely...I almost never use flash).