Suggestions for carrying viewfinders?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Pete H, May 15, 2008.

1. Pete H

Pete H Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've just bought the 21mm f/2.8 Biogon for my ZI :smile:, with the separate viewfinder. How do you folks carry the viewfinder when it's not attached to the camera? Any suggestions for keeping it clean & unscratched in the camera bag?

cheers
    Pete

2. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am not sure how I cam upon your question Pete since I don't use RFs, but how about a small jewelry pouch?
    Maybe leather or velvet. Protective and good looking.

3. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Was going to say the same thing – a small jewelry pouch.

4. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are jewelry pouches available from jewelry stores? I've never heard of such a thing--but then, I don't really have any jewelry.

5. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Never bought a ring or pair of earrings for a lady?
    The pouches come in different sizes and fabrics.
    Pete, go to a jewelry store with your viewfinder and ask them for a pouch that fits it, which I am sure they won't charge for.

6. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use several different methods, depending on the size of the finder.

For larger finders (wide angle like yours or the ones with parallax dials for longer lenses) I have plastic slide storage boxes, about 2x2x3 inches. I line them and make a divider with thin, ribbed closed cell foam from the hardware store. The foam is designed to put between a foundation and the bottom of a stud wall in wooden frame construction. It's soft and resilient. I can fit two of the larger bodied C/V finders in each box with double padding between them.

For smaller finders, I use either individual or compartmentalized plastic prescription pill sorting/carrying boxes. This works for my 28/35 combo finder, and my 50 and 75 finders. Those finders don't have protruding curved glass surfaces, so they don't really need padding in the plastic boxes.

Jewelry pouches are fine, but they can be a bit slow if you're changing finders very often, and I like the relief from outside pressure that a plastic box provides inside the camera bag. I changed to the plastic boxes when the drawstring operation of the jewelry pouches supplied with the C/V finders became too slow and cumbersome for me to be ready for upcoming shots.

I'd post photos, but I'm out of available attachment space and can't figure out what more to eliminate from prior postings.

Alternately, you could get a 21mm finder for your Biogon that also holds film. It's made by C/V, with model numbers R4M or R4A. But it costs almost twice as much as the ZI finder. :smile:

Lee

Internet disclaimer: I do know the reputation of the 21mm ZI finder and the good reasons for buying one. I need a bit of levity on occasion, and am sometimes forced to supply my own.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2008
  7. Pete H

Pete H Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the ideas, folks.
    Lee, the levity is fine too, but a bit late since I've already spent the money ... :smile:

8. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I leave mine on the camera. It doesn't stop me using the normal viewfinder with lenses that work with it.

David.

9. jbbooks

jbbooks Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just carry the viewfinder in my pocket. Much more accessible and easier for use in evaluating scenes that way. When you see something you like and get in position, then you get out the camera and put the viewfinder on it to frame the shot. Just don't carry things like loose change in the same pocket.

10. infest

infest Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As Lee L said - a plastic box with foam is the best. Very inconspicuous too. The slide box is perfect for Linhof 617 viewfinder. I now use it in a different plastic box with its top attached to the box - less items to care about when using the finder.

11. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I also would be inclined to leave it on the camera. The whole thing of fumbling around to get it out and put it away presents another opportunity to drop it. And the Zeiss finders aren't inexpensive.

12. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I keep the universal finder for my Contax in a screw top plastic drum that I stuffed with plastic foam it originally contained vitamin tablets.

13. bcostin

bcostin Member

I only have a few small finders. When not in use I keep them inside empty film canisters. The canisters either go in my bag, my pocket, or in the pouches on my camera strap. Keeps the dust out and avoids having them rattle against other items.

14. peter_n

peter_n Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The VF I use most is a 25 and thats in a small sturdy plastic bag. I keep the little bag in an outside pocket of my camera bag. The VF has survived so far.