Suggestions for processing 4x5 E6

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by roteague, Jul 23, 2004.

1. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    All,

I am looking for suggestions on where I can have my 4X5 E6 processed. I am also looking for someone to process B&W sheet film.

I am unable to do the work myself, and must send it out. Currently, I send my E6 to Chromacolor (they don't do B&W) in San Diego, CA, but I am unhappy with the film coming back with "teeth" marks where their machine pulled the film through.

Thanks,

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Those teeth marks are pretty standard at any pro lab that does any kind of volume in sheet film. I would just plan for it and not compose too close to the edge.

In New York I like Modernage for color sheet film, and I sometimes send rollfilm to A&I in L.A. using their mailers (but they don't have mailers for sheet film, so you pay the counter price, which is no cheaper than NYC labs). Both will do B&W as well, but if I were to send out my B&W sheet film, I'd probably use MVLabs in New York or dr5 in L.A. (who also does negative processing, as well as his proprietary B&W reversal processing).

3. DrPhil

DrPhil Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The teeth marks are standard for anyone that uses a dip-n-dunk processor. You could try to find someone that uses a Jobo processor. THis would avoid the teeth marks; however, many don't consider it as high quality. I use a Jobo here at home.

Photocraft in Boulder has done E6 for me in the past. I have always been happy with their service.

I can't help with B&W as I do everything at home.