Sunny 16 onwards

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by rhys, Apr 27, 2006.

1. rhys

rhys Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm looking for exposure data tables - things like the Sunny 16 rule but with more information.

Many years ago, exposure data table were constantly published in all the journals. Now all we get is the brief snippets that film manufacturers put with their rolls of film. Has anybody any ideas where I could find detailed tables of exposure data?

2. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Since most use light meters to determine exposure, it is probably not information that is published.

Fred Picker (founder of Zone VI) used a system called the Key Day system. A variation of the Sunny F 16 rule. His system went like this. If there were no clouds...bright sunlight then F16 or equivalent EV was the exposure for the day. For a light overcast day open a stop. For heavy overcast open another stop. For open shade open another stop. For deep shade open another stop.

His system was based on the fact that Edward Weston, so far as I know, never used a light meter and made some incredible images. It is entirely possible to learn to read light without the benefit of a meter. In fact I think that many would benefit from learning the practice for those times that a meter is unavailable (Ansel Adams' Moonrise over Hernendez) or when the batteries shoot craps.

Good luck I hope that this helps.

3. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There is this site

http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

Which may be what you are looking for. It's not a reproduction of old exposure tables, but it does address gauging light without a meter.

- Randy

4. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have found it helpful to check your meter reading against sunny 16 and ask yourself why there is a difference.

5. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even without holding on to the chart, I found Fred Parker's page very helpful. I learned a lot that I didn't know, and re-examined a lot of what I did know with a better understanding. Good read!

6. rhys

rhys Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have downloaded and printed his webpage (had to convert to word first though as it was going off the edge) and even then to print in landscape!

It looks very interesting indeed.

I'm toying with the idea of putting together a photographers' pocket book with all these tables etc in them. It'll be primarily for my own use but if others are interested - well, I'll see about that when and if it all comes together.

7. rhys

rhys Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks. Everybody's been so helpful. I'm mostly a digital photographer these days although I absolutely refuse to sell my 35mm Nikon outfit!

8. Stephen Benskin

Stephen Benskin Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Photographic Exposure Guide - ANSI PH2.7-1986

This guide is derived from the seminal paper by Loyd Jones in the late 40s.

9. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Has everyone forgotten about the Kodak pocket photoguide? There was also the little Master photoguide and the bigger Professional photoguide. All three had an existing light exposure dial that covered everything from skyline at sunset to fireworks to Niagara falls under dark lights. The pro guide even has moonlighted landscapes. I don't leave home without one.

Do these digital imaging stores have these anymore? I know you can fine one at the photo shows.

Rhys you may be stepping on some Kodak copyrighted toes here. Watch out.

If you need an answer to a specific problem, give me a PM. I'll give you the Kodak answer. They were real good once.

10. rhys

rhys Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nope. Not going to infringe anybody's copyright but... I'll see if I can find that book.

There are formulae around to calculate Lunar and Solar positions at various times in the year. I must find out about that next :d

11. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    ah, but....this is exactly the Sunny 16 rule.

12. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use U.S.Naval Observatory and print out the data I expect to use.

13. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Years ago I made a sunny sixteen slide rule. See here and here. I no longer have the full tables but you may be able to enhance on the information on my sliderule.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Charis Wilson mentions Weston measuring light, and photographs of him show what certainly looks like a Weston Master meter case on his belt. He seemed to take pride in his simple equipment and techniques, but used whatever it took to make the photograph right.

16. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  17. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm. This is getting a bit eerie! I was just about to post a question asking exactly the same thing (sunny sixteen etc.) Last week I was just about to ask about processing old films but someone pre empted me. Maybe higher forces at work here!

18. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No this is different for the following reason...the sunny 16 rule uses the published box speed of the film. The Picker method determines the EI as it applies to your equipment and materials.

19. Stephen Benskin

Stephen Benskin Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Loyd Jones and H.R. Condit wrote a paper for the Journal of the Optical Society of America in 1948 titled Sunlight and Skylight as Determinants of Photographic Exposure. It was published in two parts and combined is about 80 pages. It would not be an exageration to say this is the ultimate source for everything discussed on this thread. In addition, I don't think it's a coincidence that the first ASA standard of light meters was also release the same year this paper was published and that Jones was the chair on the light meter committee.

On the subject of light meters, the basic balanced exposure equation is:

A^2/T = BxS/K

where
    A= aperture
    T = shutter
    B = luminance in footlambarts
    S = film speed
    K = constant

Here's the Sunny 16 example

16^2/ 1/125 = 297x125 / 1.16

this reduces down to

256/256 = 1

20. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Stephen,

Where would one find the paper that you mentioned? Thanks for sharing this information.

21. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Andy, Thanks for posting this.

22. Stephen Benskin

Stephen Benskin Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Don,

Jones, L.A. and Condit, H.R., Sunlight and Skylight as Determinants of Photographic Exposure. I. Luminous Density as Determined by Solar Altitude and Atmospheric Conditions, JOSA, vol. 38, #2, Feb 1948.

and

Jones, L.A. and Condit, H.R., Sunlight and Skylight as Determinants of Photographic Exposure. II. Scene Structure, Directional Index, Photographic Efficiency of Daylight, Safety Factors, and Evaluation of Camera Exposure, JOSA, vol 39, #1, Feb 1949.

I got mine at UCLA in their science stacks. Any good size university should have it. If you don't have access, The Optical Society of America will make copies for you. It's expensive though. Even with gas prices where they are, it might be worth the drive to a distant university. Plus, you can use this paper's extensive bib to find other good stuff to copy while you're there.

A word of warning. These papers are deadly dull. There's more in the second paper for us photographers to use, but the first is good to have just to understand what Sunny means and for those times you have trouble getting to sleep.

Steve

23. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  24. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Steve. Thanks...I will check at ASU...

25. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  26. Erwin

Erwin Member

Lattitude

Hi,

I used the sunny 16 (or even 22) rule a lot in South Africa (using a meterless Praktica) , but since moving to England my meters seem to suggest that, especially in winter (even mid day), a sunny 11 rule is probably more realistic. I did not follow all the links, so apologies if this was covered elsewhere; just interested if others have had similar experience.